Water powered sump pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Brick

Reaction score
I am researching back up sump pumps and came across water powered units that use your city water to power the pump. Sounds like a great idea not having to worry about a battery or the cost of a generator but whats the catch? What pros and cons can you tell me about this type of pump?

Thanks,
Brick

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The pump uses a large amount of water to run. Unless you get free water from the city and don't mind wasting it, a quality electric pump is hard to beat.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
I am researching back up sump pumps and came across water powered units that use your city water to power the pump. Sounds like a great idea not having to worry about a battery or the cost of a generator but whats the catch? What pros and cons can you tell me about this type of pump?

Thanks,
Brick

Most plumbing codes do not allow water powered sump pumps, due to concerns of backflow. Here in Illinois they are not allowed at all, even if someone plumbs one in with a RPZ device.

Brick

Reaction score
Anyone know if they're allowed in Wisconsin? Anyone have any experience with them?

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Anyone know if they're allowed in Wisconsin? Anyone have any experience with them?

I have come across these in flooded basements. One just could not keep up with the inflow of water, two others the water valve suppling the pump broke and caused the flood by spraying water on the outlet the primary pump was plugged into tripping the breaker.

I am all about helping homeowners keep their basements dry during an emergency situation, so I would never ever recommend a water powered pump even if the code allowed them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks