Water not soft anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
We had a Hague system put in 13 years ago. Within the last year or so, it seems the water isn’t soft anymore. It backwashes once a week like it always has. I haven’t changed the brand or type of salt. There is an acid neutralizer tank also, and I do know that these ad hardness to the water, but nothing has changed with that either. I clean it and rebed it about every 4 years. I do the same with the salt tank. I clean it all out and make sure all components are working. I have checked the timer and it is working. The salt and the calcite do disappear so I do know that they are working. Any ideas for a huge DIYer? I hate to call Hague because $$$$$$. Last time I had them out was 6 years ago because the timer broke. Their “lifetime” warranty doesn’t cover the timer. It cost me $750 for a part that they probably buy for $20.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
If you are a huge DIY'r, it is a good idea to consider replacing that unit with a more DIY friendly unit. A Fleck or Clack based unit would likely be a much better choice. As to why your system is not producing soft water, the resin could be gone... the valve may have an internal problem that is allowing water to bypass the resin... many other problems could be going on...

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
Thought I’d let you know that next week I’m having a new system installed with a Clack valve. I can’t wait to throw this Hague system out.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thought I’d let you know that next week I’m having a new system installed with a Clack valve. I can’t wait to throw this Hague system out.
Will you get a service manual so that you can change all of the settings yourself? Or an just owner's that lets you change the hardness setting, time of day, and a few other things?

If you want to buy a part, would they mail it to you?

Banjo Bud

Reaction score
I’ll have a full manual. Not sure about parts but I’ll check. That’s one thing I hated about Hague.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks