Water neutralizer stays in backwash mode

Users who are viewing this thread

codmanri

Reaction score
I have a water neutralizer, aquapure cbw1501. The last few times it has auto-started the regeneration cycle it stayed in constant backwash and never completed - water just kept draining for an extended period of time. I had to manual turn the dial to get it to trigger the end of the cycle and stop draining water out.

If i start the cycle manually it never seems to go past the first few pins (shouldnt it only be 2 mins/pin?). The clock still appears to be keeping time.

I am new to these systems and trying to figure out what needs to be replaced or if there is any further troubleshooting i can do. Also wondering how long I should be expecting the backwash/drain cycle to take if working properly? Appreciate any help/advice.

Attachments

• IMG_20170331_104817578.jpg
    IMG_20170331_104817578.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_20170331_104756897.jpg
    IMG_20170331_104756897.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_20170331_104731747.jpg
    IMG_20170331_104731747.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_20170331_104743913.jpg
    IMG_20170331_104743913.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 366

Bannerman

Reaction score
I suspect it maybe time to rebuild your control valve.

With a piston, spacer and seal design, the seal rings can swell, wear or abrade over time, resulting in the piston no longer being able to slide smoothly within the cylinder. If friction increases to an amount greater than the force the drive motor can provide, then the piston can become jammed in the cylinder and cannot advance to the next position.

While the link to the 2 Fleck models which Reach4 provided appear to be very similar to your valve, the inlet and outlet connections appear to be much different on your valve.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Correct, that is a proprietary valve made by Fleck. Look at the white tag on the timer door and you will see the manufacturing date. I am guessing 30 years old...

Sounds to me like you got your moneys worth on this one, might be time to upgrade to a newer Fleck unit.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Not likely but not sure. I would not recommend it. From the picture it looks like an old pressed fiberglass tank. These are good for 30 years then they start to weep water. You will usually start to notice some discoloration on the tank, then it will start to get white spots on it which indicates it is now leaking. It would not be worth the risk. The newer tanks are a seamless one piece molded design that is wrapped in fiberglass and epoxy. These are considered more reliable and longer lasting, assuming the tank neck doesn't crack. The old pressed fiberglass tanks rarely had cracked necks but catastrophic tank blowouts were normal.

As to a new one, are you wanting to do it yourself. I know of many companies that sell high end equipment, and many more that sell junk. Stay away from big box stores and the large online dealers who focus heavily on lowest price/marketing garbage. Many of the online companies have switched to all Chinese equipment in order to be $1 cheaper than the next company.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks