Water meter washer replacement DIY questions

Users who are viewing this thread

jpublic123

Reaction score
Just discovered a leak on the house side of the water meter. About 99% sure it's a failed washer because it's leaking the same way it did on the street side about a year ago, and the city crew that fixed it told me it was a failed washer. The pipe to the house is metal, not sure what kind. House built in 1982.

Is this a reasonable DIY fix if I can find the right washer? And what is the right washer? From what I've seen online most main feeds are 3/4" or 1", but didn't find any how-to videos.

Anything required besides the replacement washer and a couple of pipe wrenches?

Thanks!

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm lucky to live close to a Department of Water yard, and when I need a washer like this, I just go in and ask one of the drivers. He reaches into his tool box and hands me a washer "on the house". If you happen to see a Water Department truck in your neighborhood, ask for one, these guys don't know how to say no.
I'm not sure about the size, but it's not 3/4 or 1". Plumbing outlets have the right washers too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks