Water Meter Pusating Noise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryan87500

Reaction score
I turned on my underground sprinkler for the first time since I moved in and when it is on I hear a constant pulsating / knocking noise. I believe it is coming from the water meter, would that make sense or do I just hear it traveling through the pipes. This only happens when the sprinkler is on.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It happens EVERYWHERE when there is a high flow through the water meter. Whether you hear it or not depends on many circumstances, such as the distance from the meter, the type of pipe, etc. Mine makes the same sound.

Ryan87500

Reaction score
It happens EVERYWHERE when there is a high flow through the water meter. Whether you hear it or not depends on many circumstances, such as the distance from the meter, the type of pipe, etc. Mine makes the same sound.

Sounds like there isn't much I can do about it then. Would a new water meter make a difference?

It only happens with the sprinkler running the tub and shower doesn't cause it but maybe that is less water than the sprinkler system.

alwaysfine

Reaction score
The noise you are hearing is not the water meter itself. I have had this problem numerous times when turning on the sprinkler for the first time in the year or after draining it for work during the season. It is usually caused by air getting stuck at one of the valves at one of your zones and resounding through the line back to the meter. As you cycle through your zones, more than likely only one zone will be causing the problem. If you know where your valve for that zone is located, you just have to pull off the cover and open the little releaf valve on top to release the air. That should solve the problem. Sometimes just turning it off and back on again will dislodge the air and no more noise. If you don't know where your valve is, you have to walk outside when you hear the noise and follow the sound. The ground will actually be rumbling on that zone and you go to the point when the noise is the loudest. More than likely your valve is right there.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks