Water meter issue

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
This past summer I was billed for an extremely high amount of water. The city installed a new water meter and it still showed unusually high water consumption. As a result, I have checked for leaks everywhere and cannot find one.

The water consumed over one week can be twice the amount as another week even though there has been no change in household activities. Yet, when the house is unoccupied the usage is zero according to the water meter.

I read the post https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/odd-water-meter-issue.78964/ and I am wondering if a double check valve could solve my problem.

If I were to install a double check valve at the house, should I remove the pressure reducer or do I still need it?

Also, I don't have a backflow preventer for the irrigation system (it's not required here) would that help as well?

Reach4

Reaction score
As a result, I have checked for leaks everywhere and cannot find one.
1. Does the most sensitive indicator on the water meter show flow at all times?
2. If no, check that you are using the most sensitive indicator. Maybe take a photo when you are not using water, and take another 30 minutes later. Has any indicator changed? For example, is there a rotating triangle or pinwheel?
3. If still no flow detected, does the most sensitive indicator show flow when you dribble water from a faucet?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Sometimes a rare condition happens when the meter is close to the city water supply were you have cavitation where water enters the meter and flows out and causes an erroneous reading

Also check your toilets very carefully

Shut off the valves to each toilet when away AFTER checking the water level and then check it again prior to opening the supply valve

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies.

The water meter is digital and it measures down to the milliliter. If I turn on the faucet to a dribble, it does measure it.
Regarding the toilets, they are leak free. I have checked multiple times and there isn't a drop missing.

Sylvan, interesting that you mention it, the water meter is right next to the connection to the city water supply.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
One of my accounts had a water bill over $27,000 and I went to her home The Gamble estate ( Proctor and Gamble) .

I closed the house side valve after the meter and noticed the meter was still showing movement (usage) which I knew was not likely

I notified the DEP and met with the inspector and showed him what I found and they cut the bill to less then half, reason being she did have a few toilet leaks that had to be addressed

Cavitation is rare in a water supply to structures but it does happen with the right friction losses and pressures

If you decide to install a double check valve it may have to be tested yearly

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
backflow preventer or not, pressure reducer on systems above eighty is still required.
Don't be mislead re backflow devices that are known as 'reduced pressure' backflow. That refers to the type of device, not that it reduces pressure.
Always add a wye strainer if you do install backflow, that prevents fouling of internals.
The Flume 2 meter smart devices are affordable and very cool and accurate for monitoring what could be going on, if compatible with your meter. No plumbing required.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks