Water Meter Inlet Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

halbert09

Reaction score
I just wanted to confirm, in the attached picture the valve on the 1" inlet is CLOSED, is this correct? The arrow on top is pointing away from the meter. The two holes that are lined up to place a lock or seal thru wold lock it in the closed position, is that right?

I would rotate counter-clockwise to open, is that correct, or can it trun either way? Rotate 90º for full open? Does it look like there would be a corresponging hole to lock it in the open position if desired? I don't think so.

Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• IMG_0326_700p.jpg
    IMG_0326_700p.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,486

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Obviously, if a lock can be inserted it is the closed position, because the city would be the one locking it for non-payment of the bill. There is no reason to lock it open, and if it were locked open, you can guarantee that no one would know where the key was if something happened and the house was flooding.

halbert09

Reaction score
If you get water, then it is open, if you don't get water, then it is closed...
witch
The supply was a new installation that was never connected in the basement, it has a cap sweated on it. I just wanted to be sure it is closed at the meter before starting work in the house. It has been sitting like this for 5 years and was never opened, the house has been on the existing well water all that time. The meter readings have always ben zero.

As I assumed and others have confirmed it's safe to say it's currently closed.

Is it also likely that the pipe is still dry or do you think some water may have crept in past the valve?

ANOTHER QUESTION: In addition to the shutoff by the meter there is a curb stop valve about 10 feet further out towards the street. It has a rod coming up that is a few inches below the surface. Is there a convention of how to tell if the curb valve is open or closed? I can't see the valve, only the handle/rod coming up. My usual assumption would be that if it's inline with the pipe then it is open. When the water company does a new installation do they usually leave the curb stop open or closed, assuming they have the shutoff at the meter closed? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0328_700p.jpg
    IMG_0328_700p.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 3,012
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
curb stop

Never saw one like that before, but logic would say that the elongated section would be pointing in the direction of the opening. Meaning parallel to the pipe, OPEN, perpendicular to the pipe direction, CLOSED. They would leave it in whichever direction they wanted to. Usually closed and the meter would normally be LOCKED, until it was activated so that no one could "steal" water without the city knowing about it.

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
That style of Buffalo box is common in the suburb of Lombard, IL They have a rod pinned to the stop so the village runs around with a shorter B-box key. So what HJ just said when it is parallel to the pipe it is open, and when it is perpendicular it is off. Most cites do not want the homeowners or plumbers to mess with the B-box, they usually want us to call them to see if it is key-able and have them come and turn it on and off for us. If they find out someone was trying to key it themselves and the valve is damage they will make you pay to replace it, even if it was damaged before you got there.

halbert09

Reaction score
That style of Buffalo box is common in the suburb of Lombard, IL They have a rod pinned to the stop so the village runs around with a shorter B-box key. So what HJ just said when it is parallel to the pipe it is open, and when it is perpendicular it is off. Most cites do not want the homeowners or plumbers to mess with the B-box, they usually want us to call them to see if it is key-able and have them come and turn it on and off for us. If they find out someone was trying to key it themselves and the valve is damage they will make you pay to replace it, even if it was damaged before you got there.
Thank you and HJ for the information. Mine is parallel to the pipe so I will assume for now it is open.

Since the meter valve has always been closed (never opened since installation) do you think any water has gotten into the pipe beyond the meter over the last 5 years?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks