Water meter digging tool, Need access to turn the water off

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Water meter digging tool, and needing access to turn the water off with the wrench. Sometimes the meter is covered up pretty well with dirt, and scratching the dirt out by hand can be tough.
Here I took some 2" ABS from the truck and cut an angle on the end to turn it into a digging tool. It worked out nicely and saved my hands.

water-meter-tools-01.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A large shop-vac works well but the ends of the tools wear fast so I made metal ends from thin-wall tube. Finding the right diameter metal tube can be a challenge so I also made up some using PVC as it can be softened to match the diameter to the existing hose.

Running power out to the curb to run the shop-vac might be more trouble than its worth.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
When the water department set a new meter at my sisters house and they used the eductor truck (giant vacuum) to dig the 5ft hole in 3 minutes.. Sold on the shop vac idea for removing soil quickly.

You could also make your own custom angle pipe fittings with that too I bet ;)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks