Water meter connection

Users who are viewing this thread

Wishbear

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I need some assistance on how to connect 1" PEX or PE pipe to a "Neptune T10 5/8" water meter which I believe is technically 3/4". What is the best way of achieving this? Also should I even bother increasing the size to 1" since the connection from the street to the meter is 3/4" or does that not matter? I'm obviously trying to get the best water pressure I can but don't want to waste money on larger pipe if it makes no difference. Thanks in advance!!!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most meters are 3/4" and older ones are 5/8".
Upgrade meters can be 1" or larger.

The 5/8" and 3/4" use a 3/4" thread. From there you should have at least 1" if running Poly and 1-1/4" if running PEX since it has a smaller ID than poly.
Which pipe you use determines the fitting you will use for connecting to the 3/4".

Sizing pipes

Wishbear

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! So I'm leaning towards the poly due to the ID being larger and not needing any special tools like the 1 1/4" PEX would. Which one do you guys think is better? How would I connect poly to the meter?

Reach4

Reaction score
On size, some places have their own code rule that could require you to put in a larger line.

For pressure drop purposes, it reduces pressure loss to go to a bigger pipe for the longer distance, up from a smaller fitting. I guess your neighborhood is one where people don't use PRVs (pressure reducing valves) at their houses, because before a PRV, pipe pressure loss usually won't matter.

See https://terrylove.com/forums/index....eter-pigtail-to-new-poly-pe-water-line.54236/ for more discussion.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Thanks for the quick reply! So I'm leaning towards the poly due to the ID being larger and not needing any special tools like the 1 1/4" PEX would. Which one do you guys think is better? How would I connect poly to the meter?

I use a 3/4" MIP by 1" poly insert in brass and two stainless clamps.
I pick up my brass fittings at wholesale. The homecenters don't seem to know about fittings that don't rust yet.

Wishbear

Reaction score
Yeah there's no PVR. So Terry what if I decided on PEX. How do you recommend I connect it to the meter?

Wishbear

Reaction score
I'm looking at uponor pex. I'm saying like how can i get it to go from 3/4" to 1 1/4" at the meter. Is there a brass fitting like the one for poly? Or even just to 1"? I know they have 1" to 1 1/4" water meter ball valves for Pex. I'm just trying to figure out how to get to the larger size from the meter. Also does it matter that the service from the street to the meter is 3/4" in terms of pressure after the meter? Does increasing the size after these meter to my house really make a difference since the street size used is 3/4"? Or should I just stick to 3/4"? Thanks for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The IPC water chart if you are using PEX.
It looks like the 3/4" is 29.5% of what 1" would give you.
I wouldn't even be able to plumb a one bath home with 3/4" PEX.
ipc_water_size_50.jpg

The UPC

pipe_size_2.jpg

This chart assumes that the 3/4" pipe to the home gives you 52.8% of what you would get with 1" copper or poly. Not PEX which is smaller.
UPC only allows you to plumb with 3/4" if you only have one bathroom. So............is it a one bath ramble you are working on?

Wishbear

Reaction score
Shoot! It's a one bath now but I'm planning on adding another later on. So maybe poly is the way to go. How about copper??? I had ruled copper out but maybe I should reconsider …

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Of the pipe materials you listed, copper has the largest ID and the highest cost.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks