Water line to fridge questionl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I had my plumber put in a water line to run to my fridge. No plumbers in my town use copper any more and that is good in my opinion as copper is not as good as pex. Anyway the man coming to install my fridge says that I need to run copper tubing from the shut off valve to my fridge and my plumber says it is not so. What do people agree with on this matter?

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
I agree with your plumber, you can use pex, copper or there are braided hoses made for this as well. Most fridges have a 1/4" hook up, so if running 3/8" pex you need an adapter.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
The place where I bought it won't do that because he says it won't work. That is bull but he won't do it so now I have to hire a plumber to do it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
im

You do NOT need copper, but should have something other than PEX for the final connection. Pex is not "flexible" enough to make a connection that will allow you to move the refrigerator in and out. A stainless steel icemaker connector between the PEX,, (with the proper reducer), and the refrigerator would be the proper way. AND your appliance connector person SHOULD know how to do that.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
I talked to the plumber and the pex coming up into the floor will be reduced with a much smaller tubing which I take will not be pex but he still says plastic.

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
icemaker lines are "usually" braided steel flex lines, reinforced pvc, or just 'el chepo plain pvc. using anything other than a braided steel flex line is not very smart.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
I connect with pex then a braided line, but have in the past used 3/8" pex for the whole connection, I just left about 4-5 feet coiled behind the fridge to allow room for pulling in and out.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Why is that?
It can get sliced easily. It can leak, easily.

Example:
Next to a fridge people often slide a cutting board, a pan from the oven, and or any other flat thing. If one of these flat things is a cookie sheet (completely flat) then it's edge can slice the plastic tubing easily, after it has rubbed against it for a few weeks. A minor slice. Almost insignificant. You might not see it or feel any moisture. But, when you use the fridge water a lot (mid summer, heat wave), the hose will leak a lot. Drip drip. After a few years your kitchen has rotted on one side. Floor too. All because of an invisible leak, hiding in plain view.

"... using anything other than a braided steel flex line is not very smart. ..." AMen.

Ingeborgdot

Reaction score
What size is this braided steel flex line and how is it attached? Is there something I can see someplace? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks