Water line Thumper

Users who are viewing this thread

MisterJJ

Reaction score
I have a loud, constant thumping in the line when water is running. I'm not talking about the bang when the water is turned on or off (I get that too). This is a steady beat of 3 or 4 beats per second and it's faster with higher flow and sounds more like machinery running than banging. The sound is mostly coming from the line in the wall as it enters the house. Outside, the sound is faint but can be distinctly felt by placing hand on plumbing. Could it be surging from the water meter, which was replaced shortly after I moved in less than a year ago?

Water pressure is a little high, but not terrible. I'm thinking of adding a pressure regulator and anti-hammer device to the line coming in, but don't want to do all that and still have the thumping.

Here's a picture of the line coming in. The vertical line near the wall runs over to the irrigation valves, which make the most sound when they run.

water-line-thumper.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
So... uh... what can be done? Does that mean the meter is defective? Would a pressure regulator fix it?
I would put my hand on the meter. If I feel or hear the sound more strongly at the meter, I would ask them to replace the meter. I am not a pro.

If the water meter is causing the sound, changing the PRV is not going to help. Your symptom sounds like the meter, but you can similarly put your hand on the PRV, and compare the vibration intensity to that at the meter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks