Water line setup

Users who are viewing this thread

MrCops89

Reaction score
Hi, new here. I’m remodeling my father in-laws house and just turned the water on. We have a 1” meter, followed by a new 1” rpv (15-75psi), then a 500’ 1.5”PVC line that transitions to 3/4” PEX at the house. The water pressure in the house is 82psi but when the hose Bibb is turned on the pressure drops to 15psi. My thought is the rpv needs to be relocated to inside the house, is this correct? Or is there another issue?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 1" meter and the 1.5" PVC line should be fine for that distance.
The pressure reducer at the meter should have worked, though sometimes you can get dirt in them, and then all bets are off. I say that because sometimes it has been the PRV not working as expected.

3/4 PEX for the home is pretty small. good for maybe a one bath home.

water-sizing-chart-terrylove-40-60.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
remodeling the house meaning what? new flooring ? , complete repipe? it could be 100 differant things wrong . try the washing machine bib? plugged up near the hose bib?

MrCops89

Reaction score
remodeling the house meaning what? new flooring ? , complete repipe? it could be 100 differant things wrong . try the washing machine bib? plugged up near the hose bib?
Remodeling meaning we gutted the entire house except 2 walls upstairs. House has ground level with full walk out basement (3200sqft). Plumber ran 3/4” pex cold line and 3/4” hot and recirc line down center girder beam length of house (65ft) in basement. It has 1/2” lines running from center trunk line to fixtures. Home has A.O. Smith tankless propane hot water heater with built in recirculating pump. In Basement: hose bibb in mechanical, laundry, full bath, wet bar(1 sink+ice maker). Upstairs: kitchen sink, ice maker, 2 full baths and one 1/2 bath. 1 hose bibb outside.
Only my father in-law and his wife willlive here, but they will have guest from out of state often.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if it only effects one hosebib it could be plugged near that , could be rocks debris wood shavings anywhere in piping system . including at the PRV. reason asked about the remodel , what size line was there before ? was there a problem before as well?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks