Water line problems in Maine--trench less options?

Users who are viewing this thread

Maine-Cottage-Owner

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with using trenchless techniques such as pipe bursting or pulling a line to replace a failing/leaking water line?

Our seasonal cottage in Maine has municipal water, but the line runs almost 400 feet across the front our property, through a wooded area, before it connects with the water main near our neighbor's house (That's where the water municipal water ends, unfortunately).

I am told that the line is 3/4" plastic/ or maybe pvc and is failing. It may not have been the correct type of line in the first place.

We have repaired several leaks as water streams up from our gravel drive, but 4-6 months later inevitably new leaks keep coming up further down the line. We have been dealing with this for 2 years now.

Excavating and replacing would be extremely expensive and impractical because of the woodland. So I have been wondering about trenchless replacment, where they either use the old line to pull a new on through, or use a "burst head" to expand the old line and push a new one through.

400' is a long way. I am even considering drilling a well instead, but that will create other problems in our seasonal cottage.

Thoughts? Anyone know contractors in Maine/northern New England who do this kind of work?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Look into a contractor that will send a Mole. They dig at least 2 holes or whatever series is required. The mole is an air actuated ram that pushes itself thru the ground. Once the mole reaches the destination hole, a Poly sleeve is pulled back to the house with a tracer wire. After the sleeve is in place a water service pipe is fed thru the sleeve and connected on each end.

Maine-Cottage-Owner

Reaction score
Look into a contractor that will send a Mole. They dig at least 2 holes or whatever series is required. The mole is an air actuated ram that pushes itself thru the ground. Once the mole reaches the destination hole, a Poly sleeve is pulled back to the house with a tracer wire. After the sleeve is in place a water service pipe is fed thru the sleeve and connected on each end.

Thanks, that's exactly what I need, but I didn't know to search for the term "Mole"

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Companies that do that work may also go by Directional Boring.. which is actually quite interesting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks