Water Line/Electrical/Gas in Same Channel

Users who are viewing this thread

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've been faced with this decision a few times of putting a water line and an electrical box in the same stud channel. I've always managed to move one or the other to keep them seperated out of common sense. Same with Gas.

So what is the code with multiple services in the same stud channel? Is it allowed by code?

Water/Electrical

Gas/Electrical

Water/Gas

Thanks

Tom

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
The NEC is silent on the issue, so as far as it is concerned, it all can go into the same trench.

You may have other (local) codes that may dictate otherwise. Call you local building department for a definite answer.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The NEC is silent on the issue, so as far as it is concerned, it all can go into the same trench.

If by "trench" you are literally talking about underground, I think that was not the question. He was talking about in the walls in the house, in the same 14" stud space.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

As long as the electrical is 1" away from the plumbing lines it is okay. Which is why the plumbing is supposed to be installed before the electrical because they don't always install their wires so they can give that separation.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
As long as the electrical is 1" away from the plumbing lines it is okay. Which is why the plumbing is supposed to be installed before the electrical because they don't always install their wires so they can give that separation.

Could you give us a code referance on this please?

Last edited:

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
What about gas and electric?

I'm really surprised there is no code on this? I've always gone through great pains to keep them seperated like I did last night while installing a water line for a refridgerator with a recessed box in the wall.

Thanks

Tom

480sparky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If by "trench" you are literally talking about underground, I think that was not the question. He was talking about in the walls in the house, in the same 14" stud space.

Would help if I read. All the words, too.

But, I don't see any reason they cannot be in the same stud cavity, unless there is a local code against it.

Why keep them separated? Water & electricity come together in you dishwasher, disposal, washing machine, well pump, etc.

Gas & electricity come together in your direct-vent water heater, gas stove, dryer, range, etc.

Gas & water come together in a direct-vent water heater.

Statjunk

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Makes sense. I guess I've done it for servicability. Though your right doesn't seem to be a reason for the madness.

Thanks

Tom

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have never seen soo much junk as you can see on this thread ...

In general:
  • Electrical and gas lines need to be at least 24 inches apart from each other
  • Electrical and water lines need to be at least 12 inches apart from each other
  • Electrical and sewer lines need to be at least 24 inches apart from each other
  • Electrical and communication lines need to be at least 12 inches apart from each other

So obviously you CANNOT run them in the same channel.
Outside, underground, in a trench is one thing...inside in a wall is another.

Reaction score
There's so much misinformation on this topic. It's like every installer and inspector remembers something someone told them, and repeats it as gospel time and again. Here are some codes:

CPC 720.1 General based on IAMPO
Building sewers or drainage piping of clay or materials that are not approved for use within a building shall not be run or laid in the same trench as the water pipes unless the following requirements are met:
  • The bottom of the water pipe, at points, shall be not less than 12 inches (305 mm) above the top of the sewer or drain line.
  • The water pipe shall be placed on a solid shelf excavated at one side of the common trench with a clear horizontal distance of not less than 12 inches (305 mm) from the sewer or drain line.
  • Water pipes crossing sewer or drainage piping constructed of clay or materials that are not approved for use within a building shall be laid not less than 12 inches (305 mm) above the sewer or drain pipe.
For the purpose of this section, "within a building" shall mean within the fixed limits of the building foundation.

So unless you're using clay pipes: sewer and water can share the trench.
The reason to separate them is for future repairs.

---------------------------------------------------------

For gas & electric, your local utility rulebook may apply. Mine is from PG&E and called the "Green Book"

1662687369335.png

The local utility does not allow sharing a trench with sewer or water AT ALL.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

Afjes

Reaction score
Did anyone happen to notice that this thread is from 2007 (15 years ago).

To anyone finding this thread in a search please be aware of the fact that some codes may have changed within the 15 years since this post started. Please check code offices etc for most recent codes.

AlexFullerton

Reaction score
pipes

Do you have the specific code on this?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks