Water level on galvanized tank WITH air control valve on top

Users who are viewing this thread

KATOOM

Reaction score
Hello... I'm new to this forum and excited to see if someone can help me figure out this situation I cant seem to wrap my mind around. I've been lurking and researching to hopefully see if my answer already exists but nothing. And there's some very smart people on this forum too.

What I have is a residential well with submersible pump about 200+ feet in the ground. The pressure tank is located in the garage about 100 feet away from the head, and was an epoxy 220 gallon tank with an air control valve on the top. Yes...on top, since that seems to puzzle a lot of people. I believe it has "Armstrong Machine Works" on it.
Pressure relief valve and pump pressure switch were on the side tank ports. From the day this whole system was installed the air control valve (ACV) used to spit and spray on occasion letting me know the air was being equalized. Had been like that and working great for 20 years. Until last year when the tank eventually started leaking...

The supply line from the well pump to the tank has a check valve next to the well head, and there's a schrader valve on that check valve too. I understand that schrader valve is there to let the top 20 feet of well pipe drain back down and fill with air. Upon the well pump starting, that 20 feet of air is pushed up into the pressure tank to replenish the air supply and the ACV equalizes the air again. I dont know if there is another check valve anywhere else in the well pipe but I thought someone told me there should be another down at the bottom of that 20 feet section. Without the capacity to pull the well pump up my self, I wont know unless I get a rig out here.

My situation is, not long after the epoxy tank started leaking, I started getting air in the house pipes. Things got worse over time and started causing some pipes to bang in the wall on the far end of the house. I figured the leak was the culprit messing with the tanks equalization of air because if I turned on a large source of water, like a couple hoses, then the banging would stop.

Thankfully I was able to find a replacement galvanized 315 gallon tank which I installed myself in basically the same exact manner as the old leaking 220 gal tank sat. Pressure switch and relief valve in approx the same location, and ACV on top... I guess its worth noting that the 315 tank was used when I got it and had a ACV on the side of the tank about 1/2 way up. Not an external float level type ACV either but the same type as I had on the top of my original tank, so for continuity I simply installed everything as it was in my garage using the ACV I took off my old tank.

Everything worked great when I turned the well on. The ACV hissed as air was escaping out while the tank started to fill and then the hiss stopped as the water level sat about 1/3 to 1/2 of the tank. Over the following week the water level fluctuated from 1/4 of tank to about 1/2 the tank which seemed acceptable to me and the draw down time was great. Strangely though I never heard the ACV make any more noise from that day. No hissing, no spitting, nothing... But, what I did notice was that the air in the house pipes wasnt going away. I tried to bleed all the pipes by turning everything on multiple times but the air kept returning at the same faucets.

Asking this question to some one I was asked if the water level pipe was put back on the top of the tank under the ACV. I sheepishly did not see that pipe hidden within the fitting still on the top of the old tank... They said, "thats your problem". So I put the pipe in the top of the replacement tank and it hung about 2 feet from the bottom of the tank. They said, "the bottom of that pipe in the tank should be your water level".
Well sadly after installing the pipe under the ACV is when everything went wrong.

Now my water level is at least 3/4 to the top of the tank and my pump cycles much much faster than it did before. Its not horrid but its obviously wrong. I tried replacing the ACV with another I had and no difference. I tried draining and refilling the tank a few times but the water fills to the same 3/4 of the tank level.
When the tank starts to fill the ACV will start to dribble a very small amount of water once the water level gets to the pipe hanging inside (about 2 feet high) and then the dribble stops. The water level is about 1/3 high but the water level rises more and more as the air compresses, eventually stopping with the water about a foot or so from the top of the tank. What the heck??? I dont get it. I had no such water level pipe on there before and it worked perfect but allowed air in the house. Now with the water level pipe installed the water level is way too high. It doesn't make sense and trying to find info on these older "air over water" galvanized tanks with air control valves on top is almost impossible as everyone now uses bladder tanks. If anyone does have a galvanized tank then its the one without the ACV whereby they have to pressurize the tank or refill on occasion to reset the water level. I do NOT have that kind of tank system.

Any help is appreciated and sorry for the long post. I just wanted you to understand as best as I could describe.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a side port where you could mount an AVC that is made to go on a side port?

KATOOM

Reaction score
Do you have a side port where you could mount an AVC that is made to go on a side port?

Yes, there is a side port where the ACV was mounted on the galvanized tank when I got it. I took it off the side and mounted the one I had on my old tank on the top. I can try mounting the ACV on the side again but I dont understand how that would help anything since the bottom of the water level pipe connected to the top ACV is already sitting lower than where the side mounted ACV was. Unless I'm just completely misunderstanding how these ACV's work...

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
An AVC will let air out of the tank until the water level gets up to the upper limit of the AVC float. If you are getting air in the faucets the AVC float is below your water outlet pipe or the AVC is not working. If the water level is high and the pump cycling to often, the bleeder down the well, check valve at the well head, or the schrader valve is not working. Those three things have to work in unison to inject the proper amount of air into the tank. The AVC simply lets excess air out.

KATOOM

Reaction score
So would it be safe to say that if I left it alone for a few days that possibly the incoming air from the schrader valve air pocket every time the well pump cycled on would keep adding air to the tank and lower the water level? Then at a certain point the excess air would be purged off by the AVC. Yes, no...?

Reach4

Reaction score
So would it be safe to say that if I left it alone for a few days that possibly the incoming air from the schrader valve air pocket every time the well pump cycled on would keep adding air to the tank and lower the water level? Then at a certain point the excess air would be purged off by the AVC. Yes, no...?
Is it safe to say that your misbehaving AVC will start working properly after a few days of rest? No. What was your question?

Last edited:

KATOOM

Reaction score
I should have waited a few minutes to post that last question because what I just discovered after checking the tank a few minutes ago was the water level is now about 2 feet from the bottom of the tank, equaling about 70% of the tank is now air. So.....unless you guys have another explanation, it seems that when I initially put it all back together with the water level pipe hanging inside that there was not enough air charge in the tank which allowed the water level to sit high. Then as the well pump ran over the last 24 hours that the repeating air charge from the 20 foot drop down section eventually pumped the correct amount of air back into the tank. I'll keep checking on it to make sure nothing changes.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When I am servicing my system and drain the HP tank, I will use my air compressor to get the air precharge back to where it should be rather than wait for the air-maker to do its thing. My tank is only 30 gallons. I'd imagine a 300+ gallon tank would take some time to reach the normal level of air if left alone.

KATOOM

Reaction score
Thank you... Good information. As I mentioned before, its really hard to find information about these air over water galvanized tanks because most people use bladder or diaphragm tanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks