Water level dropping in well housing

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by Lathelms, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Lathelms

Lathelms New Member

I lost prime on my well while filling a child's swimming pool. I've primed this well pump many many times successfully. This time though, as I pour in the water into the top of the pump, the water level just keep dropping so that I can pour water in at a trickle almost continuously and the well housing still won't fill. I have zero pressure. Any ideas on how to prime this pump when it won't hold water?

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Retired
    Not sure what you mean by well housing. I assume you mean the pump housing. Is there a packer in the well?
    When you ran out of water, did it get murky? Perhaps the pump sucked in sediment which is now preventing the foot valve from sealing.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Lathelms

Lathelms New Member

Yes, you're right, it's the pump housing. I opened up the hexagon shaped screw on top of the pump and poured in about a gallon of water until it filled up and ran over. Instantly the water I had poured in began receding. Usually this opening stays full of water and then I would put on the screw and hit the power and its primed. This time when I pour in water it just seeps down inside the pump and I have to fill the entire thing. And yes, the water had become murky and cloudy just before it ran out.

5. Boycedrilling

Boycedrilling In the Trades

Your check valve at the bottom of your drop pipe isn’t sealing.

6. Lathelms

Lathelms New Member

Thank you for the info! Sounds like it's time to call for an appointment with a professional. I get lots of sediment build up in the filter screen on my washer too so that seems very likely the cause of the problem with the well. Thanks!