Water Level Detect Sensor For Rain Barrel Using PVC

Users who are viewing this thread

gcxboxps

Reaction score
I have a rain barrel that I need to monitor the water level with a water level switch so that I can stop my pump from pumping water if it gets too low. I've found several switches, however, I need to submerge my switch into the water to accurately detect the level, and I was thinking about using PVC (with soviet cement) to hold the switch in place as well as protect the electrical wires and run them back to my microcontroller that I will program.

I know PVC can be used for potable applications, but it seems the internet has mixed views about the long term effects of PVC contaminating water.

Was curious about what others are doing or using, and your thoughts about PVC being submerged in a rain barrel year round.

Link to the switch type:
https://www.amazon.com/Madison-M7700-Plastic-Side-Mounted-Pressure/dp/B009093LJO/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=madison+liquid+level+switch+side+mount&qid=1613171854&sr=8-5

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If PVC pipe or lead was going to hurt anyone we would all be dead by now. Lots of fear mongering out there about PVC, lead, and over 700 other chemicals that Californians have deemed dangerous. Fear mongering and another power grab by government officials is all it is.

However, it would probably be easier to use a sump pump type float switch. You can mount one lots of ways and here is a picture of one of those ways.
LOW YIELD WELL_and storage with two PK1A one pipe.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You are going a little overboard grouping lead in there. The effects of high lead levels are well known.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning

Sure but lead doesn't dissolve out of pipe and fittings into the water the way they say it will. Many places like Flint had solid lead pipes for over a hundred years and no lead got into the system. Only when someone changed the water supply and forced acidic or caustic water through those pipes did it cause a problem. Even then it was the dissolving of the patina (lead oxide) covering the inside of the lead pipes that caused the problem much more than the lead itself. With a proper patina coating the water never even touches the lead in the pipes. If you have hot or caustic water you don't want to use lead pipe or fittings. But normal water has been run through lead pipes and leaded fittings for thousands of years since the Roman times with no ill effects.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks