Water Leaking Out Of Moen Tub Faucet Handle

Users who are viewing this thread

J Shepherd

Reaction score
Water is leaking out of our tub faucet handle when the water is turned on. I believe this is causing the damage to the wall adjacent to the tub surround. It seems like this is because water might be leaking into the wall at the handle, or running down from the handle leak and and getting in between where the tub spout meets the tub surround wall. Caulking seems pretty secure at the corner where the shower door meets the surround, near where the leak is, so I don't think the water is seeping through there to damage the wall. What causes this type of leak, and how can it be fixed? Do I need a new cartridge? I have included a picture of the water leaking out and a picture of the wall. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 385
  • FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    FullSizeRender(1).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 348

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You need a new cartridge.
Moen 1225
Moen 1225B
Moen 1200
Any of this will work.
Turn off the water to the home.
You need to remove the handel with an allen wrench, remove the part behind with a phillips screwdriver, slip off the tube behind, and then there is a clip that pulls out the top that holds the cartridge.

moen1225.gif

CountryBumkin

Reaction score
Unfortunately, from the picture you attached it looks like your leak may also be behind the wall. So you may have moldy drywall and wood damage.

If your lucky the drywall just got wet from water running along the top tub edge and out to the drywall. If you pull off escutcheon plate maybe you can get a look inside there to see if the inner wall area is soaked.

Good luck.

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the faucet were pitched forward like any good plumber would do, you would catch the water sooner and have it repaired before any water/wall damages occur. .

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the faucet were pitched forward like any good plumber would do, you would catch the water sooner and have it repaired before any water/wall damages occur. .

Pitched forward?
I've never seen that taken into consideration.
Problem solved if the cartridge is good.

Last edited:

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
My fingers got ahead of me.. above two handle faucet replacement with Moentrol done on back to back shower/tub installation and all sweat fittings.

J Shepherd

Reaction score
You need a new cartridge.
Moen 1225
Moen 1225B
Moen 1200
Any of this will work.
Turn off the water to the home.
You need to remove the handel with an allen wrench, remove the part behind with a phillips screwdriver, slip off the tube behind, and then there is a clip that pulls out the top that holds the cartridge.

moen1225.gif
Thanks Terry, we got the cartridge and got to the allen wrench part, but for some reason we can't remove the handle now

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks