Water leaking into basement from shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Kim Mullins

Reaction score
https://www.facebook.com/kim.mullin...65075/10216792277221847/?type=3&theater&ifg=1

I posted a video of the leak on Facebook,
Picture 1-3 shows the area of the leak. The orange wall is the cinder block exterior wall.
Picture 4 shows a larger area from where the tub connects to the drain pipe. There is no water coming from the pipes.

Last winter, I was getting out of the bath tub and slipped. My foot hit the drain plug and bent it. Soon after, I noticed a small leak near picture 4. A handy man made a patch and it has not leaked in that same area since. Do you think this is related to the drain plug or do you think this is a shower tile failure as I have a lose ceramic shower tile towards the bottom? I gorilla taped the lose shower tile to test what the problem is but am unsure.

Attachments

• IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_2872.jpg
    IMG_2872.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_2873.jpg
    IMG_2873.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_2874.jpg
    IMG_2874.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 574
Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First thought, a shower should be water tight prior to the tile being installed...tile is a decorative, wear surface, not the primary waterproofing.

I'd get out a level, check from the outside to inside top surface of the tub to see if that's level...then, place it along one edge lengthwise (not the bottom of the tub, which would be sloped). Both of those should be level. If it's not and water pools, on some tubs, the tiling flange isn't very high. If the tile is loose and the backer is not suitable, it may have failed. I'd carefully take that loose tile off and see what's behind it. It may be drywall, and you'll find that it is all soggy. That may mean a lot of mold and rotting joists.

Usually, this ends up a tearout and replace. You may be able to put that off for awhile if you carefully caulk things up, but it should be water tight without that if it was built properly. Unfortunately, it seems that 70-80% are not done to industry standards. Some can last many years before problems show up, but in some cases, they leak from the day they're built. Yours doesn't appear to have been leaking lots for long, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks