Water leak coming from water heater outlet pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremy Hibbler

Reaction score
I have a water leak coming from what i believe the outlet pipe. I'm not exactly sure what the name of the part is. I am pretty handy with tools, and i did try to do a bit of research. However, most of the examples are with copper piping. Is this a shark bite connection?

1lN5jsa.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Is this a sharp bite connection?
Not SharkBite. That is compression.

I would try maybe another 1/4 turn or so of tightening, using two wrenches.

There should be an insert in the PEX. If tightening doesn't do it, replace.

Mliu

Reaction score
That does not look like PEX; it looks like gray polybutylene pipe. If so, you should consider repiping your home with PEX. Polybutylene is a disaster waiting to happen.

Also, your water heater flue (gas vent) is dangerous and needs to be repaired and installed correctly. You're at risk for CO poisoning.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
No tape needed on the stainless flex. There will be a rubber washer there. If it's not leaking you can leave it.

Polybutylene is the gray pipe. They make a PB to PEX sharkbite for that transition. PB is not the same diameter of the PEX or copper.

The gas venting at top looks bad, for sure.

sharkbite_pb_pex.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks