Water leak coming from water heater outlet pipe.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Jeremy Hibbler, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Jeremy Hibbler

Jeremy Hibbler New Member

I have a water leak coming from what i believe the outlet pipe. I'm not exactly sure what the name of the part is. I am pretty handy with tools, and i did try to do a bit of research. However, most of the examples are with copper piping. Is this a shark bite connection?

1lN5jsa.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Not SharkBite. That is compression.

I would try maybe another 1/4 turn or so of tightening, using two wrenches.

There should be an insert in the PEX. If tightening doesn't do it, replace.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

5. mliu

mliu Active Member

That does not look like PEX; it looks like gray polybutylene pipe. If so, you should consider repiping your home with PEX. Polybutylene is a disaster waiting to happen.

Also, your water heater flue (gas vent) is dangerous and needs to be repaired and installed correctly. You're at risk for CO poisoning.

6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    No tape needed on the stainless flex. There will be a rubber washer there. If it's not leaking you can leave it.

Polybutylene is the gray pipe. They make a PB to PEX sharkbite for that transition. PB is not the same diameter of the PEX or copper.

The gas venting at top looks bad, for sure.

[​IMG]