Water issues....please help!

Users who are viewing this thread

red dog

Reaction score
Hi All! Wondering if anyone has suggestions for taking care of my water issues? I had a test done that showed I have 20grains hardness and 1part Iron. When the man checked my sample he said I had hydrogen sulfide just from smelling the sample. I also have a low flow rate of 1.64.
I raised 4 children in this home monitoring their showers at 5 minutes each(before turning off hot water!). We had a water softener that seemed to help with the iron staining but that is no longer functioning. I just bought a new washing machine(front loader) and would like to take care of our water issues before installation. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
When you say you have a low flow of 1.64 is that gallons per minute? If so, you would need a system to increase the flow rate before any equipment to correct the water issues.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like a water storage tank of 500 gallons.
Treat the water going into the tank and then pull water from the tank to clean the system.
This is some thing that is done around here any number of times.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like a water storage tank of 500 gallons.
Treat the water going into the tank and then pull water from the tank to clean the system.
This is some thing that is done around here any number of times.

Very interesting. Clean the water before the holding tank but use the clean water to regen the unit. Wouldn't that require solenoid valve to control the water? I've sold storage tanks before but would have never thought of treating the water prior to the holding tank.

Last edited:

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Oh yes solenoids are part of the set up, and a kill switch for the well pump so that it does not run while the system is cleaning with the clean water.
Then in the holding or storage tank put in a flow control of 1gpm.
Now if the well and pressure tank have enough storage then use the no hard water bypass piston in the 2510 and save the use of solenoids....

red dog

Reaction score
I'm thinking of going with a chlorinator, holding tank (i found a 200 gal. that would fit thru the door), a jet pump to take water from holding tank to our pressure tank, then to a terminox filter to remove iron etc. to a softener then possibly a reverse osmosis system under sink to get rid of chlorine etc. Does this sound like over kill or reasonable? Any suggestions on where to purchase the equipment? Thank you all for your input and suggestions! Please add onto anything I missed. If I need certain valves please suggest them along with placement.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a feeling that if you go with the 200 that it is going to be under sized...the filter when it cleans is going to take up most of the useable part of the 200 gallon tank.
GRUNDFOS STAINLESS STEEL MQ 3/4 HP BOOSTER PUMP would be a good pump to pull from a storage tank to feed the house, no pressure tank needed.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
i found a 200 gal. that would fit thru the door

You could chain 2 or 3 tanks together for more capacity but use up a lot of space. A large buried tank might be the way to go. I've heard bad things about those MQ pumps. I would go with a 1000 gallon underground tank and put a submersible in it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks