Water in the basement after a shower

Users who are viewing this thread

tfk0301

Reaction score
I had noticed that water appears in my basement which is a floating slab after a shower or a bath. It took a while to determine the correlation with water in the basement and the shower but it definitely shows up. The shower in question is on the second floor. I looked in the plumbing access panel behind the shower in the adjacent bedroom and I cannot see any water build up or moisture there. I don't see any evidence of drywall staining from a leak anywhere in the house. I have not been able to figure out where a leak might be originating from, the only reason I believe its the shower is the fact that there's no water around the floating slab until 15 or so minutes after a shower or bath. How might I figure out where it might be coming from.
Thanks in advance.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can definitively rule out a leak directly at the shower itself: the shower drain is not showing evidence in the ceiling below and the shower head is not leaking onto the floor of the shower in the wall. Sounds like a fitting downstream of the drain is likely the culprit.

Water does weird things inside of a house too.. It can travel along drywall ceilings and drip down walls for a long time before it damages the drywall ceiling.

Reach4

Reaction score
I had noticed that water appears in my basement which is a floating slab after a shower or a bath. It took a while to determine the correlation with water in the basement and the shower but it definitely shows up. The shower in question is on the second floor. I looked in the plumbing access panel behind the shower in the adjacent bedroom and I cannot see any water build up or moisture there. I don't see any evidence of drywall staining from a leak anywhere in the house. I have not been able to figure out where a leak might be originating from, the only reason I believe its the shower is the fact that there's no water around the floating slab until 15 or so minutes after a shower or bath. How might I figure out where it might be coming from.
Put a big bathmat outside of the shower. After each shower, check to see if the bathmat is sopping wet. If it is, give lessons in shower curtain use.

More instant feedback. Put a couple Watchdog etc water alarms on the floor outside the shower.
basement-watchdog-pump-alarms-bwd-hwa-c3_145.jpg
The sensor can stay put on the bottom of the box, or you can remote it.

Alternatively, you run carefully-directed cold water at a high rate in the shower for half an hour, and see if the water appears. If it does not, switch to one of the methods I described first.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks