Water in my house is Very Hot! What is wrong?!

Users who are viewing this thread

flyboy718

Reaction score
Ok. I have a State Select 50 gallon electric water heater that is ten years old and as far as I know has never had anything done to it. We are the third owners. Model is: ES652DORTW What is causing the water to be so hot!? We just noticed it for the last few days. How do I fix it?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you have a mixing valve at the hot water heater that blends hot and cold water or does the hot water from the heater go straight to the fixtures? The mixing valve may have failed..... If the electric hot water heater just got hot and no one messed with it, one of the thermostats or elements could be bad or the thermostat is not tight against the tank etc. Turning the temperature down is very easy if it has always been too hot and you just want to lower the temp. But if there is a failure of some sort, it is a lot easier and probably cheaper to just call a plumber. Testing an electric hot water heater can be dangerous. It is an easy fix for any plumber and doesn't usually cost too much.

Last edited:

flyboy718

Reaction score
Do you have a mixing valve at the hot water heater that blends hot and cold water or does the hot water from the heater go straight to the fixtures? The mixing valve may have failed..... If the electric hot water heater just got hot and no one messed with it, one of the thermostats or elements could be bad etc. Turning the temperature down is very easy if it has always been too hot and you just want to lower the temp. But if there is a failure of some sort, it is a lot easier and probably cheaper to just call a plumber. Testing an electric hot water heater can be dangerous. It is an easy fix for any plumber and doesn't usually cost too much.
I'm a pretty handy guy...pretty sure I can troubleshoot it or replace a thermostat

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would look at the thermostats. A faulty one will allow the elements to heat non-stop. Normally the elements are on only long enough to to maintain the preset temperature.

flyboy718

Reaction score
Update Guys: Got continuity on both my heater elements and I have power coming to both thermostats. I see the switch opening and closing on each thermostat when I turn up the heat and call for power. When they are both satisfied there is no power going to the elements form the thermostats. Seems everything has checked out. Now that's all pending that I have an understanding of the wiring which I am not 100% on it. I have attached pictures of the upper thermostat and the lower thermostat. If yall could help me with telling me where I should be seeing power where. Both elements I disconnected the wires and checked for continuity and I have confirmed that on both. I also audibly heard both thermostats kick the heat on when I turned them to a hotter setting and I have heard them go off when I place it back on original setting. My voltage reading was 240 everywhere that I saw power. Should it be 120 instead of 240...it appears that only one side of the 240 comes down to the elements?

Attachments

• 20160120_064519.jpg
    20160120_064519.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 317
  • 20160120_064530.jpg
    20160120_064530.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If the top thermostat is cool, the top element is turned on. If the top thermostat is not cool, the power is passed down to the lower thermostat, which would turn on power to the lower element if the bottom thermostat is cool.
There should be 240 VAC between these terminals, ... On when, comment:
L1 - L3, Always, From breaker box
T2 - T4, If top is cool, turn Top element on
L4 - T4, If top not cool, pass power to lower thermostat

You should never have 240VAC between T2 - T4 and L4 - T4 at the same time.
img_2.jpg

flyboy718

Reaction score
If the top thermostat is cool, the top element is turned on. If the top thermostat is not cool, the power is passed down to the lower thermostat, which would turn on power to the lower element if the bottom thermostat is cool.
There should be 240 VAC between these terminals, ... On when, comment:
L1 - L3, Always, From breaker box
T2 - T4, If top is cool, turn Top element on
L4 - T4, If top not cool, pass power to lower thermostat

You should never have 240VAC between T2 - T4 and L4 - T4 at the same time.
Ok. I am walking with you...I will check this when I get home. Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
To stop power, you just need to break the circuit and with 240vac, they often don't switch both legs, since opening either one will prevent current from flowing. This can be misleading, depending on how you measure.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;
This can be misleading, depending on how you measure.

It can also be dangerous if you do NOT know that half the circuit is still energized. In addition, there will be 240 v between L4 and the terminal below L1, (ab0ve T2), UNLESS the ECO, (the red button), has popped out because of extreme hot water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually, when water gets extremely hot, it is often because the lower element has burned out, but has done it in such a way that it does NOT short out, but rather has bypassed the thermostat and is operating on 120v CONTINUOUSLY, until the ECO/red button pops out.

flyboy718

Reaction score
Well for the last two nights I haven't had a chance to get back out there and mess with it. However, the water is not as hot anymore. Also, the ECO has not popped out either. I will be able to take a look at it again this evening.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Check the lower element for current draw, both wires, not ohms. It may have gone completely bad so it is no longer overheating the water if that was the original problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks