Water in kitchen floor, where is it coming from?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Angela Hutton, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Angela Hutton

Angela Hutton New Member

I thought it was coming from my old washing machine. I got rid of it and bought a "new" used machine. The tech delivered it and set it up and checked to make sure it was not leaking. It was not. Today there was water on the kitchen floor again. No clue where it came from. The only water that was ran today was in the kitchen sink. It does leak a little under there, but not to that extent and no way for it to get from there to several feet across the kitchen. I'm stumped.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Crawlspace or slab?

Failures in the drain lines from kitchen sinks is not uncommon. Clear out the things under the sink. Any sign of water under there?

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    Sometimes the faucet will leak only when the water is in use. It happened to my son, once in a while a lot of water. We cleared out the cabinet, dried it out and sure enough in the morning there was water. We replaced the faucet. You might want to place paper towels on the bottom of the cabinet to catch water. Do you have a dishwasher?

5. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Could be anything, keep filling your sink up and dump water like 5 times, see if water shows up, could be a broken water line. I had a guy that thought he had a foundation leak. but ended up being the copper drain line in the wall

6. Angela Hutton

Angela Hutton New Member

No dishwasher. It does leak a little under the sink. The pipe under the sink leaks. I have a bowl under it to catch the water. Still don't see how it would get from there to a few feet away in the floor.

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Through the wall, to the slab, under the bottom of the cabinet and across the slab to the puddle. The santee may have failed, or the pipe below the santee may have failed. That is one possibility.

8. Angela Hutton

Angela Hutton New Member

what is a santee?

9. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

That is short for sanitary tee. The vent pipe goes up from there. The trap arm of the trap goes out the side to your p-trap.
    [​IMG]
    This is one in plastic, but yours might be steel or cast iron. Those can fail. The steel pipe into the bottom of a metal santee can fail.

10. Chucky_ott

Chucky_ott Member

Put a marble on the floor close to any water source to see if it rolls to the location where the water accumulates. Could be a low spot in your floor.

Check the fridge too. I have a brand new one that started leaking on the floor. They generate condensation but generally that should evaporate before leaking anywhere. Ice maker too.

Also, check the ceiling. What's up there?

11. WorthFlorida

Retired
    Water flows down hill. Your floor is not as level as you might think it is.

12. Angela Hutton

Angela Hutton New Member

Two plumbers out in as many days. He couldn't get it to leak, so he didn't fix it. It's intermittent, apparently. I still want it fixed. He looked at the leak under the sink, didn't want to fool with it either. Can't believe nobody wants to do anything.

13. Angela Hutton

Angela Hutton New Member

A second specialty drain plumber came out, ran the washer, it didn't leak and the water had dried up. So he did nothing! I'm so frustrated! Do they think I'm lying about it? Ugh!

14. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

is it coming from under toekick

15. Angela Hutton

Angela Hutton New Member

what is that? It came from two different places today. It was in front of the washing machine today, and then behind the wall again. I heard it gurgle that time.

16. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

How many units are above you?

17. dj2

dj2 In the Trades

"Behind the wall" - Is the wall wet? could be a supply pipe running in the wall.
    "Gurgle" - Where is this sound coming from? Are you in a single story?

18. Angela Hutton

Angela Hutton New Member

yes, a very old single story mobile home

19. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If the leak under the sink is reproducible, I would think they could fix that. Post a picture that shows the bottom of the sink, where the drain goes into the wall. Try to show the pipe from the side.

Have you had rain lately?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  20. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

If it hasn't been raining then don't use sink or dishwasher for 2 days. If water doesn't show up then its a drainage issue. take pic of under sink

21. WorthFlorida

Retired
    Keep a dry towel at the sink as if it is a rug, when it gets wet you might be able to tell from where to leak is coming from by how wet one particular area is. Gurgling usually means a backed up drain or sewer line. Is this mobile home connected to a septic tank or a city sewer connection?