water in gas pipes

Users who are viewing this thread

shaggy

Reaction score
I have water in the gas pipes that lead to my pool heater. When I open the end, you can hear it bubbling. The heater won't work, I don't think it is getting enough pressure. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Any ideas or solutions?

Kordts

In the Trades
Reaction score
Break the line apart where you got a union and blow it out with a compressor. The real question is how did you get water in a gas line? That needs to be solved ASAP.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

Almost always when water is in a gas line, the pipe is rusted and has holes in it. Ground water around the pipe will almost always have more pressure than the 1/4 psi of the gas, so it can overcome it and enter the pipe. As you said, the gas does not have enough pressure to force its way through the water, or at least not enough volume, so you unit cannot work.

shaggy

Reaction score
The gas lines were put in about three years ago. We think that the water has gotten in from our old fire pit, which is elevated higher that the pool equipment. I used a wet vac and sucked out most of the water and I will install a drip leg. But now my pool gas valve is shot....just one thing after another.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Get the line blown out and re-test it with air and a good pressure gauge...
If you cannot do it, hire a pro.
Gas is something that you don't want to mess with if you are not comfortable...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

It makes no difference how high, or low, the pool equipment is compared to the fire pit. If the line does not have holes in it the water could not enter the pipe, unless the valve was open and you poured the water into it. I assume you used the "approved" green coated pipe for the gas line. If so, that in my opinion, is the worst material you could possibly have used. I have seen installations that only lasted a few years and when it was pulled out of the ground it looked like swiss cheese.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks