Water heaters in sequence

Users who are viewing this thread

james brenner

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive been looking and trying to find an answer, but can’t seem to turn anything up. I’m wondering if two 50 gallon electric heaters would make more hot water than one 100 gallon heater. My thought is yes, considering there’s more elements, more wattage meaning more btus. Anyone have thoughts or info on this?

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Two used in Parallel equal draw of each BUT the piping must be exact or one heater will end up doing the majority of the work

Series is another option as it is a lot less complicated but will not give the same amount of volume heated when peek demands occur

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
WHY NOT? In fact since there is no way for the water flow to "short circuit" through one heater, ALL the water has to flow past the entire heating source.

james brenner

In the Trades
Reaction score
WHY NOT? In fact since there is no way for the water flow to "short circuit" through one heater, ALL the water has to flow past the entire heating source.
My wife is a migraine sufferer so hot shower in a dark room is about all that helps. So I’m trying to make as much hot water as possible, would running these in sequence make a nearly endless supply for a shower? My other thought is to get an electric tankless for the one shower head

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
"Endless supply" depends on whether you are using more water than the heaters can produce. In order to prevent that you have to either increase the energy input, or reduce the demand by "slowing" the water flow.

james brenner

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Endless supply" depends on whether you are using more water than the heaters can produce. In order to prevent that you have to either increase the energy input, or reduce the demand by "slowing" the water flow.
What do you think of those tank boosters that cash acme makes? Essentially a mixing valve at the out of the heater. I hear they reduce pressure (volume). We have about 70psi to the house. The heater I’m using is a 50gal with a 21gph recovery. I would just crank the heat to 140 but I have a kid. That’s why I’m thinking of adding another heater in sequence, and or using one of those tank boosters so that I can increase energy in and reduce demand. Thanks for your time on this, it’s really appreciated

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks