water heater whip

Users who are viewing this thread

bharbwyr

Reaction score
what does the code have to say about wiring methods for water heater whips? Something in the back of my mind says there may be something new this cycle. The marathon heater is in a basement with a dirt floor, although it will be on a cement pad. I guess this would be considered a damp location. I'm inclined to go with carlon "smurf tube", but is mc ok too?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
whip

My inspectors want a metallic sheathed cable to prevent damaging it, although others here have given me flack about it and say they use plain Romex.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
The funny thing HJ is that MC cable offers NO more protection than NM cable in the eyes of the code. :rolleyes:

Also, we didn't give you flack. The objection was that you stated as fact that metallic cable was required when it is definitely not.

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
The funny thing HJ is that MC cable offers NO more protection than NM cable in the eyes of the code. :rolleyes:

Also, we didn't give you flack. The objection was that you stated as fact that metallic cable was required when it is definitely not.

This is a big problem on sites where the unqualified people give out advice.

On most to these DIY websites there will be one or two people that know what they are talking about and the rest are want-a-be professionals.

Here on this site there has been some life safety issues dealt out as sound advice. DIY sites should have someone that is qualified to give out professional advice set in place as moderator with delete powers.

Another view is that anyone asking a question about something they know nothing about should take any and all advice with a grain of salt.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread, but it's on topic.

I'm helping with a renovation of an older home. The water heater was powered by a fabric-covered 10-2 w/g cable dangling from the ceiling, so we're trying to clean that up. That cable now goes to a 4x4 box in the wall, and from there we're going to run a whip of some sort to the WH. The WH specifies solid wire, but the inspector (it's rumored) likes to see FMC from the wall to the WH. But, all the tables, etc., in the code specify stranded wire in FMC. There's essentially no flexing going on in this installation, so I was just going to strip the red, black and bare (solid) conductors out of a leftover piece of 10-3 w/g Romex, or encase the whole Romex length in the (1/2") flex. What do the pros do?

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Don’t strip the sheathing off the conductors as there is no marking on the conductors and they would not be allowed in any type of raceway. Just install the NM-B cable inside the raceway

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks