Water heater. What's this horrendous sound?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You have water in your pan beneath/in the water heater. When it tries to burn, it needs air. I think what you're hearing is the air being sucked in while partially being blocked.

You need to determine where it is leaking. That often means the tank is shot, as generally, you can't repair the tank. Unless that water got there by some other means...it's time for a new WH.

TERRENCE CHEN

Reaction score
Tha
You have water in your pan beneath/in the water heater. When it tries to burn, it needs air. I think what you're hearing is the air being sucked in while partially being blocked.

You need to determine where it is leaking. That often means the tank is shot, as generally, you can't repair the tank. Unless that water got there by some other means...it's time for a new WH.
Thanks much for the tip! The water in the pan was from when I tested the t&p relief valve. The noise stared right afterwards. I'll dry up the pan and report back.

TERRENCE CHEN

Reaction score
Dried the water and the sound is gone. Had no idea restricted air intake could cause such a crazy sound! Thanks a million again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks