Water Heater Venting

Users who are viewing this thread

Sejac

Reaction score
Okay. So I have had a plumber and two HVAC professionals look at my power blower from my hot water heaters. None have been able to find a solution and act like it isn't part of their expertise. So I am turning to the web to find out what I can buy. I have an old power blower that is on all the time and is sounding like it is going to die. It is making really bad noises and is very loud. I want a new one and hopefully one that is quieter. To me it doesn't seem like to much to ask but nobody has been able to help me. I don't even know what the blower is called as there are so many out there. It is a Fasco 7121-309. I can't vent upwards so it is going through metal pipe through side of house. The blower is towards the end of the pipe (not near the water heater).

Thanks for any help

2013-11-14 13.04.10.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Lot's of new looking pipe there.

When you replace the water heater, I would consider picking one up that uses plastic venting. Those are more efficent heaters than what you have.
Does that fan pull air for standard vented water heaters?
I would like to see pictures of the water heaters.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Appliances designed for power venting, typically have the fan assembly as part of them. Not sure you'd pass an inspection with a cobbled up system, or how well the unit would work. Exhausting air constantly is an energy disaster, though - the air that goes out, must be replaced by some from outside which means unheated, or cooled (depending on the season), and mess with both the comfort level and create drafts where you don't need or want them. Humidity levels would be affected, too.

Power vented equipment only runs the fan while the burner is on (or preparing to go on as a pre-check), and for a short time after to purge all of the exhaust fumes, then shuts itself off, not run constantly.

Sejac

Reaction score
Another pic

Lot's of new looking pipe there.

When you replace the water heater, I would consider picking one up that uses plastic venting. Those are more efficent heaters than what you have.
Does that fan pull air for standard vented water heaters?
I would like to see pictures of the water heaters.

Thanks for the reply Terry,

Here is a picture of the units. Sorry about the late reply but have been out. The new looking pipes are for a radon mitigation system the former owners put it. We have owned the house about 7 months and it appears that the water heaters are also fairly new.

2013-12-01 16.05.31.jpg

Sejac

Reaction score
I was told that the ones that have the fan assembly as part of them are only if they can be vented vertically. Since mine is going sideways, the fan has to be towards the end of the run near the window. I just wish I knew what type of fan it is so I could begin the process of getting one myself. I have been to sites that have fans but there are about 10 different names for the type of fan.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without logic and interlocks in the WH to verify that the power vent is working, it is unsafe to rely on the fan to do its job without the flue gases backing up and potentially killing you and your whole family. Until you get this resolved, buy and install a CO detector if you don't already have one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks