Water heater venting: flexible b-vent?

Users who are viewing this thread

DeltaDave

Reaction score
I'm in CA. I bought my house a while back. I have been examining different items in my house to make sure they meet code. My water heater is inside the house and has a b-vent attached to the WH hood and it goes through the ceiling into the attic. The b-vent extends about 1' 6" above the ceiling in the attic and is not near any combustibles. Then someone attached a 5' flexible b-vent and it turns up with two bends (no greater than a 45 bend) up through the roof jack. It is all locked together. I have been looking and looking for CA code on proper WH venting. Does it meet code to have flexible b-vent in the attic from the double wall b-vent and going through the roof or should be only be double wall b-vent all the way? I don't want to have any potential fire hazard in my attic. Thanks in advance!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
it has probably been that way for decades... and most likely it passed inspection
long ago.. the only way you would ever have a problem is if someone were to
do something foolish like throwing some boxes or the imitation family x-mas tree up in the
attic and lean it or pile it up against and around that flu pipe.... I have seen that before...
As long as you use common sense and have good clearance around it its probably
nothing to worry or fret over....

of course its wise to keep everything away from any kind of metal flu pipes
in attics

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Can you post pictures of the vents from the top of the water heater to the ceiling, in the attic and on top of the roof?

Pictures are needed for an accurate opinion.

DeltaDave

Reaction score
It's empty attic area, there's no storage available in that area and nothing combustible near it. I read it must have b-vent through ceilings, etc. (it does) but I assume flex pipe must have been ok at the time because it's not a storage area and there's nothing around it. But I am curious, does the current CA code require double wall from WH hood through the roof?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks