Water heater TPRV

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
i'm installing a new rheem hybrid water heater. in taking out the old one, there's 3 lines at the top of the unit: cold supply, hot outlet, and a line going to the TPRV.

in the new rheem unit, the TPRV is on the side of the unit, about mid height. all the info i can find on this install says to run a 3/4" pipe down to 6" above the ground.

what do i do with the old line coming out of my wall? does it need to be capped?

Attachments

• IMG-9420.JPG
    IMG-9420.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG-9421.JPG
    IMG-9421.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 155

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
i'm installing a new rheem hybrid water heater. in taking out the old one, there's 3 lines at the top of the unit: cold supply, hot outlet, and a line going to the TPRV.

in the new rheem unit, the TPRV is on the side of the unit, about mid height. all the info i can find on this install says to run a 3/4" pipe down to 6" above the ground.

what do i do with the old line coming out of my wall? does it need to be capped?

the first pic is the new unit with the line coming out of the wall. the second pic is the old unit; the middle one is the TPRV

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never seen a tprv dump lots of water on a hot water tank. Usually they are ran outside or in a crawl space. Id just leave it. But you never know if someone hooked it up to the sewer

MikeKenmore

Reaction score
turns out the line was just a pressure relief line that somewhere converts into PVC before it exits the exterior wall. i blew through the flex tubing and my FIL felt the air outside. so, it's abandoned now (probably should cap it i guess)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks