Water heater thermostat reset trips, lower element no continuity

Users who are viewing this thread

Johnnyh55

Reaction score
I have been having an issue on my 5 year old 60 gallon eletric water heater that the thermostat reset tripped, so I turned off power and check continuity of both elements. The top element had continuity but the bottom one didn't have any so I replaced it and checked the new one to make sure it had continuity and it did. I forgot to check if there was continuity between the element and the tank to see if it was shorted to ground but I dont think it was, the old element looked in good shape when I replaced it. What I am trying to understand is why would the thermostat reset trip if the lower element has no continuity? I understand if it would be shorted to ground, it would keep heating the water and the temperature would go pass 180f and trip the reset but if it wasn't shorted to ground, it means it would never be turned on so why would the thermostat reset trip? I guess I could still have a bad thermostat with the lower element burnt out? I am wondering if I overlooked things, I just checked element continuity and replace the bad one but dont understand how that can make sense.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Does the bottom thermostat check out ok. Thinking when the bottom element was failing the contacts of the stat welded together heating the tank till limit open up. If you still have the old one test from terminals to hex head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks