Water heater stopped working

Users who are viewing this thread

Esm

Reaction score
Hi, I have a Kenmore Gas Water Heater (153.331690) that blinks on #4. The manual says that the thermostat needs to be replaced. Is this thing available, can I replace it my self?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thermostat? never heard of replacing thermostat, you mean gas control valve? thermocouple?

Is sears still in business? I bought appliance parts there years ago for washer and dryer convenient but quite expensive

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Thermostat? never heard of replacing thermostat, you mean gas control valve? thermocouple?

Is sears still in business? I bought appliance parts there years ago for washer and dryer convenient but quite expensive
On line Sears Parts Direct (https://www.searspartsdirect.com/) is still big business and a few stores do remain. Sears parts sells most other brand parts. I still look up parts on the Sears sites since they usually have a better parts listing. Occasionally, I will buy from Sears parts because they'll have it in stock and sometimes at a competitive price.

The part is the Gas valve assembly.
https://www.searspartsdirect.com/di...-repair/1234627/kenmore-gas-water-heater/0582

8-2: LED flashes 8 times and then twice every 3 seconds
Temperature sensor fault

Check/Repair
Control has sensed an error in the temperature sensing circuit and has shut down the water heater. If resetting the control does not clear the fault code, replace it., To reset the control, slide the ON/OFF switch to the OFF position. Wait for 10 seconds and move the switch back to the ON position.

Possible parts
Gas control

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Worth Florida, the Sears parts can be convenient I've paid because I want to go pick up the part and fix it today . They are/were pretty good though!
Definitely can get the parts elsewhere . I think esm confused in what part is needed. I'm going by what he claims the manual said, but in any case the control valve , pilot assembly, thermocouple . thermal cutoff switch, are the most common issues

Esm

Reaction score
Hi guys,
The local LP vendor has replaced the control unit and everything works fine again. Nosy as I am, I disassembled the old (no spark at all) unit and I am wondering how the LED is flashing without any battery or other power supply?

Reach4

Reaction score
Nosy as I am, I disassembled the old (no spark at all) unit and I am wondering how the LED is flashing without any battery or other power supply?
I expect it gets its power from a thermopile (several thermocouples in series). I expect it stores energy in a capacitor, and does stuff in bursts with the stored energy.

Esm

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I looked it up at Wikipedia, makes sense. Now I am wondering if that PC board inside is available as a standalone part, might be able to fix it.

Reach4

Reaction score
There are people who recover those controls and valves from WHs that are removed due to leaking.

I just went to an auction site, and found those, but also found new boards offered. But figuring out what board will work may not be easy.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not much market for used water heater gas control valves even less if you tell them its busted .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks