Water heater replacement, repipe, bathroom reno questions

Users who are viewing this thread

Too Ambitious

Reaction score
I am planning to put in a Rheem hybrid. I'm also going to reno the farthest bathroom from the heater (70'-80' run) within the next year & take that opportunity to repipe since a lot of the copper is corroded. Right now there are 3 full baths, and I am planning to add another in 5-10 years for a mother-in-law suite.

Question 1:

The supply from the meter (at the curb) is 3/4", up to the PRV in my crawl space. Right now everything else is 1/2" or smaller, including the trunks and supply to the WH. I am planning to upsize to 1" cold and 3/4" hot trunks after the PRV. Is 1" overkill considering the supply from the city is only 3/4"?

Question 2:

By code I need to have a vacuum breaker since the water heater is bottom fed. Does it matter whether I put this before or after the thermal expansion tank? How close does it need to be to the WH?

Question 3:

I am moving the water heater location to a storage room in a converted garage. (Basement is too short for hybrid.) I am planning to pipe the condensate and drain pan through the wall of the main house, down into a sump pit in my basement mechanical room.

If I wanted to do the same with with the T&P discharge, my reading of P2804.6.1 is that I would need an air gap or air gap fitting in the same room as the WH. Is that correct?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks