Water Heater replacement - Gas Regulator?

Users who are viewing this thread

radio55monkey

Reaction score
My 12 year old 40 gal powervent water heater is acting up so I feel it's time for a replacement. I was taking a look at it and noticed there is a gas regulator installed right before it goes into the water heater. I've never seen this before. Is there a reason for this? Will I need to install another regulator (or use this same one) when installing the new water heater?

I also noticed there is a separate regulator going into the furnace as well. I guess I've always seen just one regulator coming off the gas meter and that's it. Is there a reason to put an individual regular at each separate appliance?

Thanks.

Reach4

Reaction score
I also noticed there is a separate regulator going into the furnace as well. I guess I've always seen just one regulator coming off the gas meter and that's it. Is there a reason to put an individual regular at each separate appliance?
Yes. The classic way is to have 1/4 psi gas out of a single regulator at the meter. That means that big pipes have to be used to deliver gas to high-gas-use things. Some gas companies will put in a 2 psi regulator at the meter upon request, but in that case, you need the individual regulators.

That higher pressure will be really nice if you ever decide to put in a whole house generator (nice) or an on-demand water heater (debatable).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks