Water Heater Replacement - Gas Line / Regulator

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Thomas

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Going to be replacing a gas water heater soon, and had a question. There is a gas line regulator right before the connection (see picture below). I'm going to add a sediment trap, but was curious: should I put my new line from the water heater to the old regulator, bypass it and get rid of it completely, or replace it? Curious for any insight or thoughts - much appreciated!

gas-regulator.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Fitter30

Reaction score
Not knowing what your gas pressure is before the regulator i would leave it installed because your other heater needed it. The shut off valve does it have a spring opposite the handle. If it does they have a tendency to leak after being turned off. Sediment trap be sure to enter the tee on the bull not on the run ( on the run doesn't work).

Ian Thomas

Reaction score
Not knowing what your gas pressure is before the regulator i would leave it installed because your other heater needed it. The shut off valve does it have a spring opposite the handle. If it does they have a tendency to leak after being turned off. Sediment trap be sure to enter the tee on the bull not on the run ( on the run doesn't work).

Great, will do. Thanks for the feedback!

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
you have what we call medium pressure gas and must have that regulator, as posted you are going to need a Professional Plumber to replace
that gas valve, as it is all flare fittings

Ian Thomas

Reaction score
you have what we call medium pressure gas and must have that regulator, as posted you are going to need a Professional Plumber to replace
that gas valve, as it is all flare fittings
Hmmm ok. I wasn't sure if they were MPT fittings that I could just swap out in front of the regulator. Maybe I'll have to get a plumber in to replace that stretch of the line, and then I'll install the rest of the water heater.

Conrad

Reaction score
You probably have a 2 lb gas system, that regulator takes the 2 lb gas inlet and reduces the pressure on the outlet end going to fixture to less than a 1/2 pound which all natural gas fixtures operate on. You ABSOLUTELY need it or you could damage the gas valve on your fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks