Water Heater Recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

Podo98

Reaction score
I am building a new house. It is about 4700 sqft and has 4.5 baths with all the typical appliances. My plumber/builder has given me a few suggestions for the water heating.

2 - B/White - M2XR504T6FB included in price.

2 – B/White - M2TW50T6FBN - plus $1,165.83

2 - A.O. Smith 50 Gallon Conservationist – ($42.00) credit

2 - A.O. Smith Vertex Power Vent 50 Gallon - plus $1,349.00

I do not not mind spending extra if it is worth it. We have 4-5 people living there at any given time. A large 72x40 whirlpool bath and a wife that takes long showers. My plumber likes the M2TW. Any advice?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A related comment. Consider a recirculation pump. A house as large as you have will undoubtedly have at least some fixtures a considerable distance from the heater. A recirculation pump would solve the long delay required to purge cold water from the hot water lines so you will have instant hot water at all times. Much easier and cheaper to install now than as a retro fit later.

Podo98

Reaction score
I am definitely having a recirc pump. I just have to figure out which heater to buy.

Podo98

Reaction score
Can someone tell me the advantage of a power vented WH over a atmospheric vent?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Venting is much simpler, you don't have a flue extending through every floor of the house. You are committed to a power vent forever unless you do serious remodeling to install a flue. A power vent has electronic ignition so you do not have a pilot light, but the ignition system fails occasionally which requires a fairly healthy repair bill. The cost of the power vent is significantly higher, not having a pilot light helps justify the added cost. I just replace my original one with a new one a couple of weeks ago. I do like it. (GE/Rheem)

Podo98

Reaction score
Can anyone give me approx. pricing?

Can someone tell me the average cost for the two Bradford White tanks below. My construction contract includes two M2XRs. My builder/plumber has suggested upgrading to the M2TW listed below. The cost for the upgrade is $585.00 per tank (two tanks needed). Is that a good deal? Is it worth upgrading? It appears that the average cost to run is just $30/yr more for the M2XR and the M2TW only has 7 more gallons FHR. Please advise, I don't mind spending the money if it is worth it, but I definitely do not want to get screwed.

M2XR504T6FB

M2TW50T6FBN

SewerRatz

Illinois Licensed Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
Giving prices on the internet is hard to do. Plus every contractor gets a different set of discounts from his supplier. For example I will get a good discount on Sloan Valve parts since it is something I by plenty of, but water closets I do not get such a good break. Where as plumbing company that does more new construction and sells tons of water closets he will get a better price on them than me. Also different regions have different pricing on certain products.

If you are really concerned if you are getting a good price from your contractor, your best bet is to call other local contractors in your area.

One other thing is what if you do find the heater on the other side of the states for a few hundred cheaper? How are you going to get it to you? Freight on these water heaters will cost you a few hundred anyways.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
As Gary pointed out though if you go with the TW model the venting is much easer to do and deal with. If you decided to go back to the atmospheric vent unit after your TW units have out lived their usefulness it will be difficult since the steal venting will not be in place.

Now if you go with the atmospheric vent heaters , and when they die and you decide you want to go with a TW unit, its not a big issue its very easy to run the PVC vent piping. and cap off the old steal venting.

Also Gary pointed out the TW units do not have a lit pilot which does save some gas.

Now if you are worried about the FHR and first hour delivery the unit I suggested in my first post here would be the way to go. It delivers 200 Gallons with in the first hour with a 86 GPH 90ºF Rise

Handiman

Reaction score
My STATE water tank just recently died on me after 24 years, started leaking from the bottom. I was in the same boat as you having a large whirlpool tube and 2 1/2 baths. I was looking at all the BRADFORD WHITE tanks b/c they are rated the best. Thought I would get the TW (THROUGH WALL) b/c they were the most efficient and even had local power rebates but my plumber said these tanks are a lot more to install and had to wait 4 weeks for them to come in, not normally stocked around here I guess. These tanks have electrical venting mounted on top of them which also might wear out fast.

Since I too have a large whirlpool tub my plumber suggested just to stay with the size I originally had which was 75 gallon b/c of the large whirlpool tub. I decided to finally go with what is mostly installed around this area which is the BRADFORD WHITE M2XR75S6BN (75 GALLONS) for a grand total of $1800.

SewerRatz

Reaction score
Website
www.a-archer.net
My STATE water tank just recently died on me after 24 years, started leaking from the bottom. I was in the same boat as you having a large whirlpool tube and 2 1/2 baths. I was looking at all the BRADFORD WHITE tanks b/c they are rated the best. Thought I would get the TW (THROUGH WALL) b/c they were the most efficient and even had local power rebates but my plumber said these tanks are a lot more to install and had to wait 4 weeks for them to come in, not normally stocked around here I guess. These tanks have electrical venting mounted on top of them which also might wear out fast.

Since I too have a large whirlpool tub my plumber suggested just to stay with the size I originally had which was 75 gallon b/c of the large whirlpool tub. I decided to finally go with what is mostly installed around this area which is the BRADFORD WHITE M2XR75S6BN (75 GALLONS) for a grand total of $1800.

I do not know why people over look this model by Bradford White. It puts out the same Gallons first hour delivery as a standard 100 Gallon tank, in half the size. ALso has a better recovery rate than the 100 Gal unit. Here are the PDFs on both heaters so you can compare.

GX1-55 http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/shared/pdfs/specsheets/115-B.pdf

M-I-100 http://www.bradfordwhite.com/images/shared/pdfs/specsheets/109-B.pdf

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks