water heater, pressure relife tube and pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Brother

Reaction score
I just want to be sure that its ok/code to use a pan under a water heater and have it plumbed to a drain and just let the pressure relief tube hang open over the pan. I was told that it was not allowed to run the pressure tube 'directly' to the drain because it can get clogged and it not be known.

Its just not 'feasible' right now to run the pressure tube directly to the outside from where this old water heater sits. I was curious where this would be found in the plumbing code where the pressure tube cannot be run directly to the drain. Thanks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
WHERE you can run it is a function of your local codes. Here they require it to discharge outside, and "feasible" or not, you have to meet code.

Certainly, if you are allowed to direct it to a drain, it must be indirect, meaning air space and gravity to preclude anything that is in the drain from possibly getting into the end of the TP discharge.

Brother

Reaction score
WHERE you can run it is a function of your local codes. Here they require it to discharge outside, and "feasible" or not, you have to meet code.

Certainly, if you are allowed to direct it to a drain, it must be indirect, meaning air space and gravity to preclude anything that is in the drain from possibly getting into the end of the TP discharge.

Just out of curiousity , why would some local areas 'DEMAND' that it be run outside and not allow an open air drain to a pan under the water heater?? Is there an unseen danger there im not aware of??

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
From a recent discussion elsewhere most new codes require the T&P to ter
minate inside the space with the heater (indirectly), though I prefer they go outside.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

The T&P valve discharge would overflow ANY pan's drain in a matter of seconds. You also cannot connect it directly to a drain/sewer, but not for the reason you specified. It is because that would create a direct cross connection between the water supply and the sewer, which is illegal. Ideally it should terminate outdoors so that there is no possibility for water damage if it discharges, otherwise it MUST discharge in such a way as to eliminate any possibility for water damage to the building or its contents.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks