Water Heater overheating in combustion chamber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tireshark

Reaction score
Pilot wouldn't light, had to get new Valve/pilot assembly, and TRD (Thermal Release Device) from manufacturer (thankfully all under warranty). Got it all back together, and WH works.

So... now I'm thinking about why the TRD failed. Apparently this thing fails when the temp gets too high in the combustion chamber.

That would be consistent with the initial problem, when the pilot wasn't lighting... when I removed the burner assembly the protective coating on the thermopile and sparker wires had disintegrated in spots, leaving bare wires exposed. I guess it all makes sense, because this WH is only 1.5 years old, and the burner looked blackened like it was from an older WH.

So apparently the temp in the combustion chamber was too high, and I probably need to do something about that.

Here's a video I recorded after I turned the burner back on, for the first time in about a week.

That's too much orange/yellow, right? It was also making a noise, that sounded like water gurgling/boiling/something. I'm thinking it might be a venting problem? Unless the gas valves can be adjusted or something?

Vent pipe is clear, and it is only about 10 feet or so out to the end on the roof.

Thoughts? Venting or gas adjustment?

Rheem XG50T06EC38U1

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks