Water heater leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

R.S

Reaction score
Hi.

We have a water heater tank from 2009, which has started leaking.
I have opened it, cleaned and checked the magnesium anode.
O-ring seems to seal OK, and there is no visible leak from any external connections/pipes.

The water is seeping slowly out from the blue shell (insulation). So I would think the reason would be that the insulation shell is filled up with water and slowly running over.

It leaks some drops per hour, sometimes a small puddle.

What I find curious is that even though the water holds 60*C / 140*F, and the tank and lid itself is warm to the touch ; the water that is leaking is cold.

The leak is on the opposite side of the water pipe connections. The interior of the tank looks good with only small possible spot of rust.

Any ideas or suggestions for troubleshooting?

Phog

Reaction score
Have you put it back together after disassembly? If so, just curious whether the leak changed in volume or stayed the same.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
All tanks leak from corrosion on the inside. The water is cold because the leak can be from the top somewhere and its sitting under the outer skin. It just happens to show itself where there is an opening. When tanks are manufactured all fittings are welded to the steel tank, then the tank is coated and fired to form a porcelain finish on the interior only. Your picture shows a blue coating and you can see the welded seam around the pipe and it is coated.

Slow leaks are usually from one of these welded joints. as stated above a pin hole. When a tank just blows and water is gushing out, a seam cracked open or a weak part of the tank gave way because of too much pressure build up cycles over time.

Boderus makes a nice product. Should call on them, there could have been a known issue with this tank and they may have some compensation. In the USA a Boderus furnace, my brother has, had a problem with the control module. Boerus had free $400 module replacement well after warranty.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks