Water Heater Leaking from the bottom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Novaangle

Reaction score
Hey all, im fairly new to repairing my own water heater so please bear with me. I came home today to find my water heater leaking from the bottom of the tank (around where the thermostat is i think). Im wondering if i can fix this myself or if i should call a professional. Ill add pictures as to wear the leak is happening. Any input would be greatly appreciated for my newbie butt, thank you!

the picture p4 shows exactly where its leaking from. thanks again!

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 323
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 281
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 291
  • p4.jpg
    p4.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 303

Stuff

Reaction score
Generally once a water heater starts to leak it needs to be replaced. How old is the tank as it might be under warranty?

Reach4

Reaction score
Your P4.jpg seems to show the leak from behind the control.

I have never tried replacing a control. These things vary, and yours may not work the same as the one in the video. Looking at www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2ctqDO-kMo if it were mine I would consider either giving the control another turn CW, or alternatively pull the control and re-install with both good teflon tape and pipe dope such as Rectorseal T Plus 2.

The normal thing is to replace a WH that leaks.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the leak is indeed from behind the gas valve, you can try what Reach4 says.

Drain the water heater, remove the gas valve (use the proper size wrench and don't damage the valve and its casing, or you may find that replacing the WH would be more sensible).

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Call a licensed plumber and have it replaced it. Disconnecting gas piping is not something a DIY should be playing with

If you read the serial number and it is still under warrantee then the company should send someone authorized to make repairs

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks