Water Heater Leak question

Users who are viewing this thread

drooby

Reaction score
I would appreciate any input here as I feel totally lost and don't know where to start. Google was no help so I am trying the forums. If you can help please reply.

Yesterday,I found a leak coming from my water heater (its a 6 year old Bradford White 48 gallon - not under warranty as it was a replacement for an older one that died under warranty). I looked at it and water was coming from the "space heater outlet" - the plastic cap was blown off and underneath it was what looked like a plastic bag that had a small hole in it and water was squirting out of that whole. I have since cleaned up as much as I could and shut off the water in and out of the heater.

Can someone help diagnose this for me, will I need to replace the heater or can I just put the cap back on?

thank you very much in advance for any replies!!

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
you have a leak

you probably have a bad waterheater..

if it is a 48 gallon one it most lilkely is
a Power Vent unit,,,, and they cost big bucks like about 900...

what made the heater only last a few years is
debateable.. ...and we run into them doing this all the time

on my link are all the reasons it could possilby be
that causes a short life in a heater..

http://www.weilhammerplumbing.com/generalinfo/

drooby

Reaction score
thank you very much for your response. Yes I forgot to mention that it was a gas unit and it has a black unit on top which is connected electricity and to a pipe that leads outside from my basement to the back yard.I believe this is a power vent!!

Questions that instantly come to mind:

1 -Do you think that replacing the plastic cap will solve anything. I do have a water softener and the salt inside it has been empty for a couple of months.

2 - can the power vent unit be taken from this water heater and installed into another? If so - does it have to be the same brand or capacity?

3- if not, do I have to install a new water heater with a power vent? Or in other words what do I gain or lose either way?

Again thank you for your assistance. If indeed I am replacing it, I am thinking this is the second Bradford that died less than 6 years from installation date, maybe its time to try something else, GE from Home Depot seems to have good reviews - any thoughts?

(PS_ of course, reading your link, I plan to fill my softener up with salt today and never let it go out again)

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water heater leak

No you can not use that power vent on any other water heater, ! !

Unless it is the same brand and model from same mfg,
even then they change over a couple years just like car parts ! !

Yes once you have a power vent you "must" always use a power vent because
thats the way your venting is set up. !

The tank is a leaker you must get a new one !

And a water softner kills a water heater by eatting up the mfg's anode rod

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just a week ago I had to replace my 12+ year old power vent. I got a GE/Rheem at the Orange Box store. $788 plus tax. As previously noted, you (like me) are stuck with the power vent because conventional heaters do not vent through the side of the house with PVC pipe, they have to go through the roof. There are no usable parts to salvage off of the old heater. One small alteration I made on my heaters. I replaced the plastic drain cock with a brass nipple and a 3/4" ball valve. That adapts to a hose or whatever you need to use for draining the tank. Makes flushing the tank much faster and easier. Another Bradford-White would be a good choice as well as the GE/Rheem, but do not get a Whirlpool...they are really dogs.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
power vents

we have had people fed up with the power vents
and switched over to a 50- gallon electric water heater....

they are more simplistic..but cost more to operate..

you have something electrical going on in your home and I suggest that you install the new unit with flexible quick connectors from the plumbing system to the heater.... they work 10 times better than diaelectrics to isolate the heater from any currents lurking in the pipes...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks