Water Heater issues

Users who are viewing this thread

jkg2116

Reaction score
Today I tried to drain my heater for the first time since moving in and I encounter two things. First, the cold water valve doesn't shut. You can turn it either way but it wouldn't shut. What do you think the problem is and how can I fix it? Second, if you look at the second image, I see some rust along the pipes connecting to the expansion tank. Will this be a potential issue? Thank you

106072979_2935166513438290_4384398990534193874_n.jpg
106132730_291636702029579_7495542321994449761_n.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The expansion tank holds about two gallons of water. It takes a while before it stops dumping water on you.
What is the date on the water heater? I don't normally see that kind of rust unless there have been leaks for a while.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, next time you get your WH replaced, do NOT use any galvanized piping! Most of the things are galvanized before cutting or the threads are cut, so there's almost always some bare steel that will start to rust immediately.

Does the shutoff handle just spin or you can't move it at all? Next time, use a ball valve.

If you're trying to just flush the WH, leave the water on...the pressure will help move any loose debris. If you really need to empty it, then if the shutoff doesn't work, you'll have to go to the main home water shutoff. Get a new valve and replace what's there while it's off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks