Water Heater in Shed

Users who are viewing this thread

RG123

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a summer home that does not have insulated pipes. Every year we drain the hot water heater for the winter. The hot water heater is currently in my bedroom, and I would like to move it elsewhere. A contractor suggested moving it to my (uninsulated) shed, insulating the pipes and running them underground to the house. Is it crazy to do this? Or could it actually work, since the hot water heater is drained during the winter anyway?

Thanks.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
That's do-able, as long as the pipes are buried below the 100 year frost line, which could be pretty deep in the colder parts of the PA hills. It will be impossible to fully drain the pipes without using compressed air. But you're already familiar with what it takes to properly drain the tank. If it's a long run to the shed you might consider installing a demand-type recirculation loop to get the hot water to the house faster.

If it were propane or gas you might consider installing a tankless unit inside the house to save space. An electric tankless would require a 200A panel and could be pretty hard on the transformer serving the house. Electric tankless water heaters are not recommended (not even in warmer-water places than PA), since it requires a lot of grid infrastructure to support an extremely high but extremely intermittent load.

RG123

Reaction score
Thank you, that's very helpful. Sounds like it's more complicated than what I really want to deal with to move it.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I'm sure it's not too cheap to trench 50' or more of pipe out to a shed, but if the shed was 10' from the house it might be more tractable.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ever consider making it a 4-season place? Having a WH in an outside, unheated space would not make a lot of sense with the considerably greater standby losses imposed and the risks of pipes freezing. A brief power outage on a nasty deep freeze could spell disaster when things thawed out, and the slightest air leak in a shed in the cold could freeze things up quickly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks