Water heater heats then pilot light goes out on 19 YO WH

Users who are viewing this thread

Bander

Reaction score
So I have been scouring forums trying to find the specific issue I have with not much luck.
The water heater is a Bradford white and I believe model m450s6en12 (some of digits hard to read).
So the issue is the water heater will get up to proper temperature but when it stops heating the pilot light goes out. Try to light pilot again but will go out as soon as I release igniter button.
But after someone takes a shower or drains the heat out of tank I am able to light the pilot again no problem.
Have tried replacing thermocouple, cleaning the pilot/tube of any debri and does not seem to be any drafts around it.
Not sure what else to try on it, any suggestions would be appreciated.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I couldn't find the exact model number on the BW web site except for M45036FBN. This is the service manual for several different models. Is yours a standing pilot light?
Does your unit have a Resettable thermoswitch? It is normally closed and if it opens it will shut the pilot light off. This is listed on the first troubleshooting chart but the trouble listed is the pilot will shut off after the pilot button is released. You can disconnect at least one of the wires on the thermoswitch and use an ohm meter to check it. If it is good then probably the gas valve.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/bradfordwh..._prior_icon_archived_servicemanual_44943c.pdf

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How old is your unit? Is it like a 2008 model?
M4-5036FBN would have been a pretty standard 50 gallon water heater.

bw-m4.jpg

Last edited:

Bander

Reaction score
It’s is a standing pilot but I don’t believe it has a resettable thermoswitch. Here is a pic of it with manufacturer sticker

upload_2021-2-8_20-4-50.jpeg

upload_2021-2-8_20-1-35.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
X = 2001 or 2021
K = October

So you have a water heater that is 19 years old.
Wow! You sure got your money's worth out of that old tank!

bradford-white-age-800.jpg

Last edited:

Bander

Reaction score
Yeah it might be time to replace, always try to get a little more out of them.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
TIME TO BUY A NEW WATER HEATER, BECAUSE YOU HAVE A BAD GAS VALVE AND THE COST TO REPLACE, IF YOU COULD FIND THE RIGHT ONE,
WOULD BE CLOSE TO THE PRICE FOR A NEW HEATER

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your WH is sitting in a very tight space.
Get a new WH which will allow air movement in there. Tall and skinny.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks