Water Heater Heat Trap

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by go_hercules, Sep 13, 2019 at 10:05 AM.

1. go_hercules

go_hercules Member

Okay, the latest problem. I installed an expansion tank on my existing water heater. No problem, it works fine. The problem is that I switched from corrugated copper lines to corrugated stainless lines. The old copper lines were a little smaller inside diameter which meant that the rubber washers had a smaller inside diameter than the rubber washers on the corrugated stainless. Now the problem is that the nipples from the tank have blue plastic heat traps which the washer must seat against. Well the larger hole in the stainless line rubber washers doesn't really cover up a lot of the heat trap face so I am getting some weeping from there. Snugged a little and a little more but still barely weeping. Any suggestions on this one? Thanks.

MASTERPLUMB777 likes this.
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

If snugging further did not do it, I think I would unscrew the leaking connector, dry the gasket, inspect the gasket for defects, lightly put some silicone plumbing grease on the gasket and the thread. Then tighten it back into place. If the gasket is removable, I would lube both sides. The grease on the gasket lets the lubricated gasket flow on a micro level to better fill tiny imperfections. The bit of grease on the threads lets you get more compression with the same amount of torque.

https://www.danco.com/product/0-5-oz-silicone-faucet-grease/ Danco 88693 gives you plenty for a few uses. I have a 5.3 ounce tube of Molykote 111, which is probably a lifetime supply.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. plumber69

plumber69 In the Trades

Ive tried the flex lines on tanks before and had the same issue

5. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    If all else fails try to find the correct size washers with a smaller inside diameter hole.

6. go_hercules

go_hercules Member

Yeah, I thought of the smaller I.D. washers but I'll need to make sure there's even enough of a "flange" on the end of the stainless tube to seat on. Of course the water ran down the nipple into the insulation under the sheet metal top, so now when I wipe it to check for weeping I get water from that. It's a Bradford White with the idiotic nipples with barely any thread sticking out the top. If I ever decide to change the dip tube or anode rod on this it's going to be a pain. Don't even know how I would tighten a new one in (unless the replacement nipple portion is a lot longer).

7. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Some people pull out heat traps for other reasons.

8. go_hercules

go_hercules Member

I did notice that even with the trap in place, the cold water supply gets pretty warm for about a foot. I guess maybe it would get even warmer without it ???? I wonder if they really do anything at all.

9. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing- - fire suppression
    I always remove the heat trap and install a 27" loop on the CW supply to prevent stratification of hot molecules entering the CW supply

James Henry likes this.
  10. James Henry

James Henry In the Trades

Plumber
    Could you be more precise?

11. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

12. Sylvan

Sylvan Still learning

plumbing- - fire suppression
    Check out holby tempering valve and notice the 27" loop on the CW supply

Bring the cold water supply down at least 27 " then back up to the inlet U shape