Water heater gas valve replacement: shank length

Users who are viewing this thread

Cajun Tiger

Reaction score
Hi Experts,

I need to replace gas valve on my water heater. It is a Robsertshaw R110RTSP on a Rheem Guardian 22V50F1 heater. The shank length on this valve is 2-3/8". I wish to try a replacement gas valve from HD or Lowes which have smaller shank lengths. This is just for ease of return if the valve does not fit.

Is it possible to replace with a gas valve which has a smaller shank length? Sorry for my newbie question, but would a decrease in shank length affect functionality in any way? Or do I need to get the valve with same shank length.

Many thanks.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's better to get the same gas valve or the valve that replaces the original if the original is discontinued.

How old is your WH? Gas valves are pricey, and getting a new valve for an old unit may be good money wasted.
Are you comfortable with gas connections?
Replacing and modifying gas components are better left to plumbers.

Cajun Tiger

Reaction score
Thanks! I have replaced thermocouple twice with new one, and now a complete pilot assembly. Checked with multimeter under open test there is correct voltage when pilot is lit while holding pilot button. On connecting thermocouple to gas valve, and repeating process, as soon as I release pilot button, pilot goes off. Changing gas valve seems like the last part I can try before I give up. Earlier it used to have a problem that it will heat up for sometime and then main burner will die, killing pilot. This was already signaling a failing valve. I also cleaned the inner combustion chamber with vacuum.

It is a 10 year old Rheem Guardian 22V50F1. Used only during winter in Southern US, so active life is less than 4-5 years if that matters.

Have not worked with gas before, but on different appliances successfully. Have seen videos on what to do, and yes it is non-trivial. But, if I don't try it, I'll carry the guilt of giving up :)

Reach4

Reaction score
You want to make sure that the pilot is heated by the flame. I read that some WHs often need you to bend the thermocouple/thermopile bracket to get the position right.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
What Reach4 said, the new pilot has to be mounted in exactly the same place as the old pilot.

As I suspected, your WH is old. It sounds like you already invested in it, and you still can't get it going. If you are new to gas, stop. Now is not the right time to learn how to replace a gas valve.

In light of this info, you will be better off with a new WH.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey Mark, you could, but you could also end up with an headache from your buyers.

This WH is 10 y.o, not worth the trouble.
This poster has no experience in gas.

Just get a new WH.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Hey Mark, you could, but you could also end up with an headache from your buyers.

This WH is 10 y.o, not worth the trouble.
This poster has no experience in gas.

Just get a new WH.

it amazes me how many used parts are being sold on E-bay...
I dont need the money that badly and I dont need the headaches or
possible lawsuits down the road.......

I get calls all the time for older
power vent fan assemblies for bradfords and rheem power vents....
I just throw them away with the leaking heater because you dont know
what kind of idiot you might be selling that used part to ..........

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks