Water Heater Expansion Tank Overflow Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

safesurfer

Reaction score
The overflow pipe coming off of the cold water tee line that my expansion tank is on for my water heater is leaking water (filling a bucket to the brim overnight.) I have not seen any evidence of water coming from the pressure relief valve at all. What might be causing this, a faulty expansion tank?

http://www.watts.com/pdf/1915356.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Overflow, eh? Could it be a vacuum breaker? What are your static and dynamic pressures? Picture please!

safesurfer

Reaction score
Here's some pics.

No idea on the pressures I'm afraid, there are no pressure gauges on the system and to be honest I don't have a clue how to measure.

Additionally, I have tried flushing the tank through the drain valve to try and clean out the tank of any buildup - our water is quite hard (city main supply).

Thanks.

Attachments

• PA040545.JPG
    PA040545.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 6,706
  • PA040546.JPG
    PA040546.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 3,008
  • PA040547.JPG
    PA040547.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,509

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Someone believes in the "belt and suspenders" way of installing things. That is a secondary pressure relief valve. It is not needed and may be out of adjustment.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics.;
\
Your flue pipe is not pretty. The relief valve off the XT is probably 150 PSI ( check that ) and should not be relieving if the system pressure is OK. Check the static and dynamic pressure on your system. The discharge tube from the primary TP valve is also not proper at least in my area. It may pass code in your area.

Ladiesman271

Homeowner
Reaction score
The discharge tube from the primary TP valve is also not proper at least in my area. It may pass code in your area.

Looks the same as my water heater. Discharge tube within 12 inches of the floor (copper pipe in my case). No floor drain in my house (1958).

Last edited:

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
I would take a screw driver and tap on the expansion tank. The bottom should sound dull, while the top of the tank should sound hollow and ring. If the whole take sounds dull, it may be waterlogged and may be allowing the system to build excessive PSI.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Looks the same as my water heater. Discharge tube within 12 inches of the floor (copper pipe in my case). No floor drain in my house (1958).

Our code requires the discharge of the TP to terminate outside the dwelling, or "other approved location". The setup you have is not an "approved location".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
code

The relief valve terminating in a "safe" location is a requirement of ALL codes, but is sometimes one of the least enforced requirements, at least until it operates and floods the basement.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
This looks like a Rube Goldberg design! There are so many bad and/or questionable things in what you have, I would suggest a professional be contacted to come in and organize things properly.

safesurfer

Reaction score
Thanks guys.

The secondary pressure relief valve was only 75PSI. I tried replacing at first with a new valve with the same rating, but the leak continued. I decided to follow HJ's advice that it was not needed and just installed a plug -so far no problems. I've tapped the expansion tank and it doesn't seem to be filling to the top so I'm hopeful that this has taken care of the problem.

As far as code goes, this was a new house built in 2002 by an area developer so it would have been inspected and presumably met all local codes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks