Water Heater Efficiency Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

cpowers

Reaction score
Hi Love-ers. I have recently gotten on about reducing our electric bill and one of the most obvious spots is the water heater. We are a family of four, and I would not say we are 'efficient' users of hot water. We live in northern Indiana and have access to natural gas etc. Our current setup is electric 50 gallon. We do have a geothermal heat pump, which does preheat the water in a 50 gallon tank (electric, but never on). I think that is our saving grace that we do not spend more. So this last week I put on a clamp meter with a result in using 126KWH.

I am considering an upgrade, only for the cost savings (nothing against the planet). The two primary contenders right now are a Rheem 65 Gallon Hybrid $1489 - 400 electric rebate. Or a Westinghouse (htp crossover) 130GPH natural gas $1427 + gas pipe + vent pipe. I am comfortable installing either, but there is alot more work to do the gas.

Cost per KWH is 0.0922, cost per therm is 0.91. Calculations:
Electric $605/year
Gas $217/year
Hybrid $159/year

It seems like the hybrid is the obvious choice, but i just do not know if their energy star rating is realistic or not.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thank you!
Chris

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
If the hybrid water heater is big enough to serve the needs of the family go for it!

The recovery times are pretty long in heat pump only mode, so it takes a bigger tank to serve up 4 consecutive showers than an HTP/Westing house with a 76KBTU burner would, but if the ground source heat pump is delivering 50 gallons pre-heated water it's not that bad. If you're filling a soaker bathtub on a regular basis you may need to upsize, but if you've been doing OK with a standard 50 gallon tank that's probably not going to be an issue.

Reach4

Reaction score
One thing to watch for on electric bills is that there are often more than one line items that are charged for each KWH of electricity. Make sure you include them all in your analysis.

For example, if this were your bill, there would be a 5 items to consider, plus the two taxes and franchise cost are also mostly from KWH charges.
https://santannaenergyservices.com/how-to-read-your-electric-bill/

cpowers

Reaction score
Thank you for your thoughts guys. I am leaning to the hybrid, just a lot faster payback period. Leaves a little freedom in the gas line for a future fireplace too.

If i get this going i will post my experiences.
Thanks!
Chris

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks