Water heater drain pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Xenomorph

Reaction score
I am just wondering what you guys do to connect the vertical tailpiece/downspout to the galvanized water heater drain pan. The tailpiece is brass, but the pan is galvanized. Is it possible to solder the 2 together using acid flux and regular solder?

thx.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The T&P is 3/4 threaded brass that will accept a copper male adp. with soldered pipe going to a upright T with a 3" X 1.5" coupling bushed reduced down to 1" into the T. It needs a 2" air gap between 3" PVC and the copper. This is what is required where I am. They don't want the T&P going into the pan incase the T&P leaks the heater would be sitting in water.

Plumb or Die

Plumbing Instructor
Reaction score
Yes, you can

Yes you can solder it, just heat slowly to not overheat and blacken the galvanized pan. A always solder them, a buddy of mine silicones his.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks